PC or MAC

Z

zap2

OK here it is My gradmother spent like 5000 on a PC( i did not have a mac yet so did not know how great they were.) We bought a Tower and a monitor that goes on the wall and its a TV. Well now shes moving so i may try to get her to buy a mac. I want her to get a mac ,but if its not worth it i do not want to spend the money. Shes not great with computers and not the used to Xp so i was think if a mac would help learn, she could get one. But it has to help her alot !!!! So i wanted to know how much easyer is it to learn how to use on OS X then Xp,i know OS X is easyer but how much. If its only a little then its not worth it but if its like ten times easye then it just might be a go. I also have to see if macs would could up to the screen. If then can it would be amazing to see OS X on that screen.

OP
A

Ameen

My Grandmother just bought a PC aswell, it came yesterday and it cost only £399, Apple Mac's aren't the ideal option for a first PC as people worry about compatability and ease of use at first - but once your looking for the ideal computer, a Mac is just around the corner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
1) Please proof-read your posts before you hit submit. :)

2) I found OS X really easy to use, it has a very intuitive interface and I dont see why anyone would have any problems getting to grips with it.

Reaction score
If they already have a computer, I don't see a point in buying another.

OP
Z

zap2

edgefusion said:
1) Please proof-read your posts before you hit submit. :)

2) I found OS X really easy to use, it has a very intuitive interface and I dont see why anyone would have any problems getting to grips with it.

1)Im doign a project and i was on a short brake(just like now) and i di nnot have time.

2) its not she has touble with OSX it is if it is easy and by how much then Xp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Ameen said:
Apple Mac's aren't the ideal option for a first PC as people worry about compatability and ease of use at first

And you get this with a Windows PC? I have friends that are seasoned Windows PC users that are still brought to tears on occasion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
If they already have a computer, I don't see a point in buying another.

Exactly...especially if she is not the one who wants the new one. From what I can gather from the original post....
I want her to get a mac
The decision to get a new computer should be up to the computer owner...at least in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
it really wouldn't make much sense for her to get a new computer. you wrote- "If then can it would be amazing to see OS X on that screen." unless she is as into computers as you are, she would probably not care. also, has she expressed anything about xp not doing what she wants it to do. we all would love everyone to use macs, but in this case i think she is fine.

OP
Z

zap2

im not making her get a computer but this is her first computer and see knows nohting about them. She got her first computer si her grandchildern can do school work at her home. one of the main reason for buying it was so we could work on it when we were at her house,but i use a mac so i can not bring word documents to her home. With that said she really does not need a new computer( which is what she most likly would have said) So i guess we keep the PC until it gets outdated. Thanks for info. I was say i want her to get a mac but that did not mean she was going to get one,i was stating my opnion not tell her she must get one.

Reaction score
zap2 said:
im not making her get a computer but this is her first computer and see knows nohting about them. She got her first computer si her grandchildern can do school work at her home. one of the main reason for buying it was so we could work on it when we were at her house,but i use a mac so i can not bring word documents to her home. With that said she really does not need a new computer( which is what she most likly would have said) So i guess we keep the PC until it gets outdated. Thanks for info. I was say i want her to get a mac but that did not mean she was going to get one,i was stating my opnion not tell her she must get one.

I aggree. Keep the PC until it's expired; then get the Mac. Saves time and money.

Please proofread your posts.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Since there is already a forum rule banning the use of foul language, why isn't there a forum rule saying that a person has to at least try to be grammatically correct when posting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
OK, Grandmother here LOL.
I used Windows for years, the Mac is so much easier to use. I taught my 70 year old neighbour how to use my Mac in a few hours, she will be switching in the next couple of months.
Using Tiger now, simple Archive & Install, had to reinstall the printer & mouse drivers, No problems, it's great :)

Still mucking around setting up XP on a new Hard drive, it's taking days rather than the couple of hours it took changing my Mac from Panther to Tiger..

OP
Z

zap2

i was working on a project for school was in a rush will profread next time sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
meltbanana314 said:
Since there is already a forum rule banning the use of foul language, why isn't there a forum rule saying that a person has to at least try to be grammatically correct when posting?

then what happens when we get people who are not completely educated in the english language??

i would follow the others suggestions and keep the pc until it is outdated. but i think that is a pretty high price for a computer for a grandma....granted it sounds like the monitor could be most of that cost (hangs on wall or something and used as a tv)

should be able to find a book on xp to help her out a lot with XP. or if she has the money maybe go for a mini and a switch so both can be used.

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
That gave me a headache to read, poor guy :)

OP
A

Aarow

She could buy a book to learn XP, or she could check with the local library to see if there are any free classes(thats what my grandma did).

OP
Z

zap2

Icicle said:
That gave me a headache to read, poor guy :)

i hpe u were not talking about me becuase i was doing a science project and was in a rush. Normally im good an english

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
Not sure which was worse... his grandmother blowing 5k on a PC and - by the sounds of it - a 42" plasma screen... or his english...

do they have computers in all kindergartens now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.