Finder- list files by type order

Reaction score
Hi Cannot find how to list items in a folder by file type order, as in have all my photoshop files then jpegs etc, thanks Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ummm if i have it right click on your folder and then cmd~j and that should be able to give you a order.
Date
type
name
date modified

??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Ummm if i have it right click on your folder and then cmd~j and that should be able to give you a order.

Actually, I believe you single left click to highlight it, and then Cmd-J.

Not being obnoxious, just clarifying for a new user...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

That's "clarifying?" Heck, I don't even know what either of you are talking about.

Anyway, it's
View > Arrange by > Kind

Or click on the column header (if you're in List view)

OP
S
Reaction score
Neither of these work its put them in alpha order even though I selected kind. in list view I still have Folder, indesigns files, folder indesignfiles, its not properly putting them in kind order

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Perhaps we could give you more help if you would post a screenshot.

M

MacInWin

Assuming you are in Finder, List view, move to the "Kind" column and click on the word "Kind" at the top of the column. The result will be sorted by Kind into alphabetical order by kind. In the header of the Kind column will appear a little triangle on the right side. If it points up, the column is alphabetically sorted, if it points down, the column is sorted reversed. Click the triangle to change back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Yep thanx Jay .. My bad ... you are right .. Had very long day and was 1am i think so mind was in meltdown.
Thanks for bringing it up for the new user :)
Wide awake now for another day :)

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Still cannot get files to view in file type order, I have them in alpha order still not file type? When i open them in finder, view - "arrange by" is greyed out so cannot select it. When I do my work I have charge sheets I constantly fill out which are indesign files. I have folders in the same file to "back up" copies, a folder for charge sheets ready for "invoicing" a folder for "invoiced" and a folder for "client copies"

What I see in list view is;

Invoiced folder
charge sheet
charge sheet
Client copies folder
charge sheet
charge sheet
back up folder
charge sheet
etc etc,
What I want is

Invoiced folder
client copies folder
back up folder
charge sheet
charge sheet
charge sheet
charge sheet
nothing suggested here will do this, I would also like my other folders to show files in type order if possible, how can this be so hard I must be missing something!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Click on the little cog wheel on the top menu, then on Show view options. A pop-up menu appears - is Kind ticked in Show columns? If not, tick it and see what happens.

You'll never actually get the folders right at the top, as in MSoft Explorer, because the file order is alphabetically by name - so Folder files below, e.g., Document. One of the oddities of Finder you just have to get used to - until Apple comes to its senses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Yep thanx Jay .. My bad ... you are right .. Had very long day and was 1am i think so mind was in meltdown.
Thanks for bringing it up for the new user :)
Wide awake now for another day :)

Cheers

Glad someone appreciates it. Someone gave me negative rep for my post. Good Grief! :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The original poster is looking for a way to sort their folders not only by kind, but to also apply an order to the list that is not just alphabetical.

OP
S
Reaction score
Click on the little cog wheel on the top menu, then on Show view options. A pop-up menu appears - is Kind ticked in Show columns? If not, tick it and see what happens.

You'll never actually get the folders right at the top, as in MSoft Explorer, because the file order is alphabetically by name - so Folder files below, e.g., Document. One of the oddities of Finder you just have to get used to - until Apple comes to its senses.

Thanks, this just puts text to denote file knid next to the icons not re-arrange them!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.