Applecare & CompUSA : (

Reaction score
Didn't know where to file this....

So, we purchased a macbook pro just under three years ago at a CompUSA in Nashua New Hampshire...
Just a couple hours ago, after installing an itunes and security update, the computer froze and crashed...Now, when I boot up, it goes to the grey Apple logo screen withthe little circle thing, and just sits there...the circle is animated, but nothing happens...
Apple tech support said to bring it to an apple store...
Now, I know we purchased Apple care, but for some reason it was never registered.....Now that CompUSA is out of business, does anyone know of a way to retrieve that number, or receipt????
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Problem is, if it was never properly registered with Apple (AFAIK it would have been something you had to do - you would have gotten a little box that said Apple Care on it and had a number in it to register on the Apple website) - then you probably won't get the help... They might take pitty if you can show you purchased applecare at the same time, but it's a long shot... Honestly, I don't think there is a way to get the receipt back tho since CompUSA is gone, unless you can find their accountants and somehow they maintained all of those old purchase receipt records (doubtful)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now, I know we purchased Apple care, but for some reason it was never registered.....Now that CompUSA is out of business, does anyone know of a way to retrieve that number, or receipt????
Thanks in advance!

How did you verify that the Applecare was never registered?

Applecare is generally "attached or linked" to the serial number of the computer...and can usually be checked by calling the Apple Store, giving them the serial number, and they check on it.

If you have already done this & you have no proof of the Applecare purchase...you may be "SOL"...sorry.:(

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, they checked against the serial number....negative.
God, this sucks so badly.

So is finding your original receipt definitely a "no-go"?...I know almost 3 years is a long time!

Also...how do you know that this is definitely a hardware problem?...it may just be some sort of a software glitch!:)

Have you tried "booting" the computer from the original "grey" install DVD's that came with the computer?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
+1 for what Pigoo3 said, as it happened just after a set of patches, my first thought would be a software issue. If you have the gray discs you can run some checks (including check/fix permissions) and see if that helps, plus the gray discs would have the apple hardware test that you could do some preliminary diagnostics on the hardware if you're still unsure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, it was purchased as a holiday gift, December 26th of 2006....
The tech support guy said I would have to bring it in, but I'm currently looking for the DVD that came with it.....we've moved twice since then, and my girlfriend has a tendency to not put ANYTHING away where it belongs...
This is so frustrating....what should I do if I find that DVD? Just boot from it??

+1 for what Pigoo3 said, as it happened just after a set of patches, my first thought would be a software issue. If you have the gray discs you can run some checks (including check/fix permissions) and see if that helps, plus the gray discs would have the apple hardware test that you could do some preliminary diagnostics on the hardware if you're still unsure.

Can I get those discs somewhere? Or are they specific to the computer?

is there away to download them and load them to a disc?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I get those discs somewhere? Or are they specific to the computer?

If you bought the computer new...you definitely got a set of "gray" colored disks.

They are model specific...so not just any "gray disks will do. If you happened to have "black" retail OS install disks, that would work as well...a Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) disk should work too.

- Nick

is there away to download them and load them to a disc?

No...OS X installs are not downloadable.

- Nick

TWM

Reaction score
If it is a software problem, a reinstall of the operating system will fix it. Pretty sure you can get the original disks via apple, OR just go to the store and buy a new copy of OS X 10.6. (it has an Intel processor right?). Put the disk in, turn off the computer, then turn it back on, while holding the 'c' key. This will allow you to boot from the disk. Follow the instructions to do a 'erase and install'. Just a warning, this will erase everything you ever put on the computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Is there a way to recover anything off the drive? This will be devestating if I lose everything....all my music, and productions omg

Is it possible for me to access the drive via target disc mode??

TWM

Reaction score
You might want to lookup how to do an 'archive install' on OS X 10.6. that will be your best bet. If there is a lot of important stuff on it, you might just want to go to the apple store and talk to them to see what your options are, and see whats possible. Really sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not sure about target disk mode. I'm sure some one else will chime in soon. And welcome to the forums!

OP
C
Reaction score
You might want to lookup how to do an 'archive install' on OS X 10.6. that will be your best bet. If there is a lot of important stuff on it, you might just want to go to the apple store and talk to them to see what your options are, and see whats possible. Really sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the helpful, prompt responses...from everyone. Thanks much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.