iphoto- they keep the originals?

Reaction score
I've recently discovered that my iphoto hasn't been discarding deleted photos! After I modify and improve them, I'm still finding that the originals are on my hard drive. This has been going on for about a year now, so as you might expect this is a big job at hand. Is there any option in iphoto to delete the originals once you modify them? Can I just delete my originals folder? Is there a utility to do this?

-B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's a non-destructive editing program.

Reaction score
Ok, it's non destructive. Doesn't really answer the question for a newbie(me), once your finished editing, do you save the finished product to a new folder and delete the old one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've recently discovered that my iphoto hasn't been discarding deleted photos! After I modify and improve them, I'm still finding that the originals are on my hard drive. This has been going on for about a year now, so as you might expect this is a big job at hand. Is there any option in iphoto to delete the originals once you modify them? Can I just delete my originals folder? Is there a utility to do this?

-B

You don't need a utility - you just need to delete trash from within iPhoto!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I always thought iPhoto stores the originals so you don't loose them and then it stores your modifications so that you can use iPhoto to export/save a new photo along with the changes, hence non-destructive ... there shouldn't be duplicate photos though, or are there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
iPhoto keeps a copy of all your original files so that you can use the "Revert to Original" option at any time. It keeps originals for even the most minuscule changes, such as changing the orientation. If you change orientation often, then you've got a whole bunch of "duplicates" in your iPhoto Library. Also, if you've changed a file in another way and have absolutely no desire to go back to the original, you've got another duplicate there. So it builds up quite a bit over time.

My iPhoto library was somewhere around a bulging 90GB before I followed a few tricks to cut it down in size. I haven't gotten around to getting rid of duplicates but I still managed to get it down to 72GB. I only have 18,873 pictures, so I know that I should be able to cut it down quite a bit more when I get rid of duplicates.

There was a utility that helped get rid of duplicates, it's called iPhoto Diet. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated lately and only supports iPhoto 6 or 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.