A noob Q on Boot Camp & XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2009
Good day all. New convert here...had my MB about 3 weeks now and enjoying it. Got great help already from this site. Switched from a Dell laptop running XP. Read alot here about the subject question but still not sure I get it. I'm military so need to access some secure websites using my CAC reader that are only supported w/ IE. Also need to take an exam on my MB using ExamSoft that requires running XP or Vista. So, need to install either XP or Vista for those 2 purposes.

I have the OEM reinstallation CD for XP SP2 from my old Dell and have no need to keep the Dell if I can get XP on the MB. My Q is: can I uninstall XP from the Dell and use the reinstallation CD to install XP on the MB? Have read about this phone activation process but not sure what that entails. Or do I need to drop the $300 on a new full version of XP (I'd prefer not to mess with either Vista or 7 if possible).

Finally, is 32 MB sufficient space for the XP partition given my intended uses?

Many thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
the oem disc will not work since the serial for it has already been used for another machine. i think the only way you can do it is buy a new copy or cough cough..torrents..cough cough ;). the space is also a factor. i think xp uses around 5 or 6 gigs to install on a machine

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2009
Thanks for the info and I made a mistake in OP, meant to say 32 "GB." I think that is the default in Boot Camp no?

Any harm in trying the uninstall/reinstall route? Haven't done so yet b/c waiting delivery of my external HD to run Time Machine first!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The re-installation CD is going to try to install stuff that is specific to the Dell laptop it came from, so somethings or all of it might fail on the MB..

You ideally want an OEM version of XP..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.