• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Burned but no audio

J

Julian Dawson

Hi Guys

I have just got round to backing up a DVD on my ibook G4. I used Mactheripper to copy the movie only. I then dragged the Video_ts file from finder and dropped it into toast 6 titanium.

The DVD Burned, the picture quality was spot on, the only problem was the total lack of sound. I can here a very low level of sound through my ibook.

i guess i havr missed an important step. I would like to here any ideas you may have.

cheer

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
you should never drag only VDEO_TS to toast. create folder with movie name and put your VIDEO_TS inside, along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder. (names can contain only CAPITOLS and _ , between words. drag the folder to toast and burn it as data>DVD-ROM. all of these listed above maximizes the compatibility to DVD players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, unless it was small enough to burn without compressing, in which case you'll probably only have a video_ts folder that also contains the audio, but that way should work, if you compressed, you need the audio_ts also, though if you burned in toast without compressing, you may have forgotten the audio_ts folder. did you compress after ripping?

OP
J

Julian Dawson

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions, i will giver them a go. I did not need to compress as the main feature was small enough to fit on the DVD.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the quick Response

cheers

J

OP
J

Julian Dawson

I have tried to burn following the steps suggested. The DVD that results will play perfectlyh on my Sony DVD but won't play on either my Mac G4 or my JVC DVD.

Am I doing somthing wrong, or is it just a hit and miss affair. I have not needed to compress the file that is produced by mac the ripper. I have saved the file inside another file as suggested and burned as a data dvd.

When burned straght to toast as a dvd it played on all my DVD's but without sound. I am confused, but willing to accept this is just one of those things when burning.

If any one has any other ideas that would be great.

Thanks again

J

OP
E

embries

You must have both the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. If you want to play your dvds in various DVD players you'll need to be burning to DVD-R discs as opposed to DVD+R discs (which most players will not read). As for the G4, it should probably read a +R although to some extent burned dvds are hit/miss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never known burning dvd's to be a hit and miss type of situation. I think maybe you should try compressing anyway, it may not be needed, but it sets up the video_ts and audio_ts folders as they should be and links the audio and video during the process, if you decide to try to compress using dvd2onex, when you specify where to save, create a new folder after the movie name that will hold the audio_ts and video_ts folders, just an idea. Also, I use dvd+r discs and haven't had problems playing them anywhere.

OP
J

Julian Dawson

Thanks guys..

I will keep trying, the confusing thing is that went it had been ripped, there was no audio ts file just the video ts.

funny thing....... ah well we shall succeed with a little practice.

Thanks again. and sorry for the delayed reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
theres usually only a video_ts folder when you rip, compressing with dvd2onex creates the audio_ts folder, but leaves the audio in the video folder and just makes a link between the 2, though the audio folder really isnt needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.