Airport Express question

EdJ

Reaction score
I bought an Airport Express the other day so that I could remotely play iTunes through my stereo.

I've followed the instructions and my MacBook has found the Airport Express when it's connected via an Ethernet cable to my wireless router. However, as soon as I disconnect the Ethernet cable, the MacBook cannot see it anymore.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Are you creating a wireless network with it or joining an existing wireless network with it? Might have to default it and start over. The AirPort Utility should find it no problem after that. Then you can go ahead and configure it.

Reaction score
You have a both a router and an AE.
Plug the ethernet into the router and the AE into a wall. There is no need for a cable connection between the AE and router. Let Airport Utility scan for new devices and it should pick up the AE. You can then configure the AE accordingly. One option is to have it join your existing network. This is what you want. Then Airport Utility will configure the AE and you can use it with iTunes. If I remember correctly you need to turn on the Air Tunes option in iTunes.

Works great for me at home, and set up was a breeze. iTunes is annoying sometimes since it randomly deletes file locations, but otherwise it's great listening to music through the stereo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can either:
1. connect the Airport Express to you Macbook wirelessly and stream music directly from your Macbook to the Airport Express and onward to your stereo.

or

2. Connect the Airport Express wirelessly to your router - with the proviso that to do this your router has to be an Apple router or another Airport Express. - (Actually that's nonsense. That's only if your extending a network)

Either way.... reset your airport express to defaults and then just plug it into the power. Open the Airport Utility on your Macbook and it should detect the Airport Express. You can then run through the wizard to configure it.

OP
E

EdJ

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I did try it without plugging in the Ethernet cable, but had problems. I'll give it another go tonight with this thread in front of me. Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
You might have to reset it to the default settings via the small button on the AE. You need to use a paper clip end or something similar in size. Hold the button in until the yellow light begins to blink rapidly.

OP
E

EdJ

Reaction score
I've reset the Airport Express but it asks if I want to select the Airport Express as the means with which to connect to the internet ("Setting up this Apple wireless device requires switching wireless networks. Switching wireless networks may interrupt your connection to the Internet.")

I clicked yes to this, and then I lost my internet connection and the device tried to restart and it once it had restarted, my MacBook couldn't find it any more.

It then took me about 30 minutes to try and get connected to the internet again via my router.

Can someone give me some simple instructions using the Airport Utility? Any help much appreciated.

Ed

OP
E

EdJ

Reaction score
Just an update - the good news is that I have been able to wirelessly play music through my stereo via the Airport Express.

The downside is that it's either the Airport Express my MacBook connects to or the internet. Not both.

I've tried going into the set up and connecting the Airport Express to the internet, but then it tries to reset the Airport Express and it never comes on again. I then have to re-enter my password etc to get the internet going. It's a right pain to be honest!

Any help would be great. Thanks for the link to the $10 instructions, but surely someone else has had a similar thing to me on here?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

OP
E

EdJ

Reaction score
OK, last update on this. I've discovered that my wireless router (BT Homehub) is not compatable with the Airport Express. So either I replace my wireless router with something like Apple's Time Capsule or I forget about using Airport Express.

To be fair to Apple, apparently this is more a reflection of my router than Apple, still I think it's something they could highlight in the UK store when I bought it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.