Settings for backlit keyboard

Reaction score
I'm a new mac owner and have a problem with adjusting my backlit keyboard. I cant seem to figure out how to work my backlit keyboard, in the sense of, when i turn off my lights in my room the key board should light up and screen brighten and when i turn on the lights in the room the keyboard back lights should go off and screen should dim.
It seems to do the opposite, like at every startup itll just turn on.
I tired googling my problem and read something about covering up the sensor light and then turning my backlit light on. Is the sensor where the iSight camera is?
Any help would be much appreciated (step by step if possible)
Thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For true control of your backlit keyboard, Lab Tick is what you want.

It's been running in my startup items for 3 years now. A must have app imho.

OP
I
Reaction score
For true control of your backlit keyboard, Lab Tick is what you want.

It's been running in my startup items for 3 years now. A must have app imho.

i actually did download lab tick but im not sure how to set it up properly.
can anyone go through it with me
just wanna make my keyboard light up when i shut the lights off and turn off when i turn the lights on

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a clue how to do that - it's not that simple and never worked like I wanted it.

Just start Lab Tick and then use it's slider in the menu bar to adjust to the brightness you want. There are a lot more degrees of brightness than just lights on and lights off. Lab Tick will work for all of those. Check the LabTick preferences. Have mine set to start at login and I never let OS X manage the backlight. It just does not work to my satisfaction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
just wanna make my keyboard light up when i shut the lights off and turn off when i turn the lights on

I'm confused... This is what mine does, am I missing something here?

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm confused... This is what mine does, am I missing something here?

lol mine lights up when i turn the lights on, but doesnt do anything if my lights are off unless i push the buttons to light it up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.