• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Switching macs

Reaction score
I am currently using the macs on my college's computer lab. My problem is when work on my iMovie project in one Mac and save the project to my flash drive, I cannot edit the iMovie Project in another Mac. It will only show up as a final project, not the way I saved it on the previous Mac. Can you please tell me what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This one I think will probably be better answered by XStep or one of the other iMovie experts in the forum. If I were to *guess* at the problem (and I really do mean guess) I'd imagine that not all of the project resources are there - I think when you save, it's just saving the EDL as opposed to all of the project files. You could try going back to the Mac where you know all of the footage is, etc. - get the project opened, save it to the mac HD, then copy the entire project folder (making sure you get all of the source footage) off and see if that works. Even then you may need to copy the entire project folder back over to the new mac in the appropriate location for iMovie to work.

I'm sure this doesn't help too much, but maybe it might help you try something at least until one of the iMovie experts get on here and can give you better guidance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Refer to the attached picture for the following...

If you see at lease one white square (upper right, four squares), those are items you have used the Share menu on that get written to the project folder, so you can actually play them. It seems items shared to iTunes are placed in a sub-folder of a folder named 'iMovie Sharing'. I haven't clearly figured out the sharing fully.

If you see a yellow marker (lower left), that means you do not have access to the assets. You'll need to copy the appropriate files from the 'iMovie Events' folder. If you haven't shared the video, the preview window will be black with text near the center that says 'Source clip is missing'. Also, you will not be able to find it in the 'Event Library' pane.

If the assets of the project are not in the events folder, like from iPhoto or else where, I think you'll want them always on your USB drive. I haven't found a way for iMovie to re-aquire some assets such as items dragged in to it.

Check out this response regarding the layout and my thoughts at the time.

P.S. When I tried a USB stick, iMovie didn't want to see it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps a speed issue?

FinderScreenSnapz001.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.