partition my disk to run Windows XP

Reaction score
Alright, so I decided today that maybe I wanted to partition my disk to run Windows XP, and so I opened up BootCamp, partitioned the drive to have 32GB for Windows, and then changed my mind and quit while the partition was in progress.
Really friggin' stupid, I know, and now I am regretting it because now that 32GB is missing from my computer and I want it back ><
Should I just leave it alone and go to my Mac Store tomorrow? Or is there someway I can restore that 32GB?

My drive format is now in extended, which my friend tells me means the drive is in lock down and won't let it be partitioned again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try running the Boot Camp Assistant again and see if it will let you revert to a single partition.

And next time, make a full backup before you make a major change to your file system or OS. Murphy's Law applies to computers as much as it applies to anything else. You always need to hope for the best, but expect the worst. External hard drives are cheap and plentiful. Time Machine makes the process brain-dead simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your drive is not in lock down, Mac OS extended is the standard default format for OSX

As cwa says, try the assistant again, otherwise I would take it to the Apple store and get them to fix it.

But, if you have a spare drive, make a back-up of your mac partition using SuperDuper first, you always need a back-up

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you!
Yes, I'm taking it to a store tomorrow first thing.
I've learned by lesson, most definitely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.