How do I Allocate a file to download in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)
I bought my Imac a couple weeks ago, and have figured most of my way around the OS X. There is one thing that has been troubling for me though.
I have been through numerous Windows machines, and have worked with them a lot, and still do as some in my household still will be using them for a while.

The problem that I seem to get caught up in is that when I download a podcast from NPR, I can't seem to make it go into a particular folder for safe keeping, so that I may retrieve it later. With Windows, this was a snap, but here I have used up much time, and can't seem to figure it out. Frustration building. However, every time I get frustrated with the Mac, I find that it's just a part of my learning curve, and it becomes clear shortly after.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you subscribe to one of the NPR podcasts on your Mac, they are auto downloaded and kept in your iTunes Library, in Podcasts.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just want the downloaded file to go to the folder of my choice. Doesn't Mac allow that?

It's probably something that you will think is stupid, but maybe it's just due to habits I have fallen into with Windows.

The problem that I seem to get caught up in is that when I download a file I can't seem to make it go into a particular folder for safe keeping, so that I may retrieve it later. With Windows, this was a snap, but here I have used up much time, and can't seem to figure it out. Frustration building. However, every time I get frustrated with the Mac, I find that it's just a part of my learning curve, and it becomes clear shortly after. I just would like to direct my downloads in folders that "I" want, and not what Mac thinks I should like "Itunes" or something.

Reaction score
There may be some workarounds for you. First, if you are using Safari I would recommend you download Firefox and use it instead. Within Firefox's preferences you can tell it to always ask you where to put files you download from within the browser.

For content that you purchase from within iTunes you have less control up front. By default all your content will be stored in Users/"username"/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music (see attached image). You can change this directory by clicking on the "Change" button, but there isn't a lot of good reasons to do so because Time Machine WILL include this directory by default (as will Carbonite) or any backup solution worth its salt.

Still, for content you download manually you can simply create the directories you wish to store the files in, and as long as the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" checkbox is unticked, they will stay there even though they are listed in iTunes, but when you think about it, this means you will have more directories to backup instead of less and it makes things harder, and less intuitive, not easier.

If you tick the checkbox for "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" AND the checkbox for "Keep iTunes Media folder organized", not only will all your content be consolidated into one parent directory (Music), it will also be organized into directories such as podcasts, artists, etc. If there is certain content you want to share with family often (say a podcast), you can simply navigate to the directory that iTunes stores it in and create an alias to it which you can then drop some place more convenient for you like your Documents directory or something. Then when you run a backup, everything is backed up and when you want to get to your files, you don't have to dig through the entire directory structure every time because you created an alias (shortcut in windows terminology) to it.

261c5f98856ba30dd83c27b6dc8a82fe.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
You already have a Downloads folder.
Finder > Your user house icon > Downloads. It may also be in your Dock. Drag and drop rules so just drag the downloaded items from the downloads folder to the various folders you want them to be in. Open two finder windows to make moving items around easier Command N or file new window. You can drag any folder to the Finder sidebar for easy access, you can also drag any folder to the Dock both will be aliases (Shortcuts)

You can of course set another folder including the desktop to hold your downloads in Safari preferences > General.

If you can get a copy of David Pogue's Missing Manual for the Operating system you are using it's worth it's weight in gold.

Apple's support sites are great too:
Apple - Support - Switch 101
Apple - Support - Mac 101 - All Work and Play
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
S.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it's just habit that when you download, Windows gives a pop up, and says basically where do you want it, and you can send it anywhere you want right then and there. Seems like a better plan than having to go and open a different folder to find the new file among hundreds of files (sometimes the name of the file can be obscure) and then having to file it properly. Perhaps, this is one area where Windows is better organized.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
As for your downloading part try this. You are only able to do this within firefox though.

20091130-dgskj1d5182bmhh7xdgccgk8nc.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I guess it's just habit that when you download, Windows gives a pop up, and says basically where do you want it, and you can send it anywhere you want right then and there. Seems like a better plan than having to go and open a different folder to find the new file among hundreds of files (sometimes the name of the file can be obscure) and then having to file it properly. Perhaps, this is one area where Windows is better organized.

That is basically the way it works on a Mac also.
Safari enables you to set where you want your downloads - which is the Downloads folder by default.

Opera & Safari - can be set to ask all the time as pointed out by Crimson.

NPR, the 2 or 3 shows I listen to are another animal because there is no direct download link, at least not in Safari. It is a podcast subscription link. This link is going to download direct to iTunes, and sign you up to an automatic download whenever there is a new podcast. I don't know of any way to stop that.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is basically the way it works on a Mac also.
Safari enables you to set where you want your downloads - which is the Downloads folder by default.

Opera & Safari - can be set to ask all the time as pointed out by Crimson.

NPR, the 2 or 3 shows I listen to are another animal because there is no direct download link, at least not in Safari. It is a podcast subscription link. This link is going to download direct to iTunes, and sign you up to an automatic download whenever there is a new podcast. I don't know of any way to stop that.

What I have noticed with NPR is that some articles have a place to just click the downloads, but I think Itunes is a much better way to get them. It's easier in Itunes...but hee hee, there is always a reason for such a different type of download. My Ipod is dedicated to my Windows laptop, and if I move it to my new Imac, I have to wipe it clean and start all over with my collection in that Nano. For Christmas, I bought Itouch players for all three kids, and guess who gets all of their old Ipods??? I will have Ipods coming out of my ears, and I will dedicate one of the old 160 gig big ones to this computer, and I will be set. Until then, I have to transfer files to my laptop via memory stick, or just download on the other computer.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help I have gotten here, and I also appreciate the help in getting the correct title for this thread.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have iTunes 9 on both computers, all you have to do is set up the Homesharing feature to be able to move anything on iTunes between your Windows machine and your Mac. It works great. Do it here between my MacBook Pro and my HTPC running Win7. It'll show you everything that's on the other computer or only what's different between the two of them. You can even stream between them without moving anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.