Boot Camp and Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I have a new iMAC and use a few program with Windows XP from Boot Camp. There are NO problems with this configuration.

For a number of reasons I am thinking about installing Parallels Desktop 4.0 as there is one program that I would like run under Windows XP without having to reboot the machine as one must with Boot Camp.

In making a "virtual machine" under Parallels do I have to install Windows again? Or can I get the currently installed Windows XP to operate using Boot Camp. If I can, is this a wise thing to do?

If I have to install Windows XP with Parallels, can it be the same program (Windows XP Pro) that I use under Boot Camp? Or should I use Windows XP Home?

Both of the Windows XP disks are legitimate by the way.

Sorry if this question has already been answered.

Thanks!!

Art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
Parallels will use the same installation which is on bootcamp, so you won't have to install windows again. Parallels will find it during installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Parallels will use the same installation which is on bootcamp, so you won't have to install windows again. Parallels will find it during installation.

Yep, simple as pie. Good luck OP.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the very quick response!!

Beers on me.

Art

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.