windows7 vs snow leopard?

Reaction score
Hello so Im trying to decide if I will get or not a macbook, now that windows 7 is out I thought maybe I should keep my PC and upgrade it! so I talked to this friend of mine and I send him a message telling him that well I wanted to buy a macbook cuz I thought it was the computer with best performing nowsadays and I hear a lot of good news lately about APPLE and its products, and since Visa was such a bad upgrade I thought windows 7 was gonna be the same.and maybe microsoft is just tryng to hard.
lol so do you think Windows 7 is really that great and many snow leopard not much? what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If you love windows so much, go ahead and go with it! No one is stopping you!
Net worth is useless info when you are trying to figure out which one is the best. That's like saying Burger King is better than the Winking Lizard because their net worth is higher.

OP
gabo864
Reaction score
lol im not saying I love windows better! im just asking what you guys think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Which one do you think is trying too hard to come out with something good? you say "best performing nowadays"? I can show you some windows machines that will make the best power mac look like a sitting duck. Windows 7 is not the same old ether. The code has been almost completely redesigned, meaning more performance where it is needed. Vista was a flop, but 7 is amazing. Don't trust me though, look at all the PC magazine reviews. Oh, and not to mention the fact that the only reason apple IS in business today, is because our friend Gates pulled them out of going bankrupt so Microsoft wouldn't be a monopoly.

Where do you get this information from?

OP
gabo864
Reaction score
I dont know he just mentioned that.. is that true? did microsoft actually saved apple?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Steve Jobs came back to Apple and saved them. The very little Microsoft did really did nothing much. If Jobs would have not returned when he did and sold them the rights to NeXT and NeXTStep OS, Apple would be dead long ago. And by saying that do not take it I am some Jobs worshiper that drinks the Apple Cool Aid daily. I used OSX and it sold me. Not anything anyone said. The OS did the talking to me.

Most of what Gates did was agree to make Microsoft Office available for OSX for at least 5 years I believe for the Mac, make IE for OSX till Safari was done. What Microsoft did help a little at the beginning but did not save apple from a certain death.

Also Windows 7 is FAR from all re-written. There are a lot of changes and its a lot better and less resource hungry especially on low end systems than Vista was. That was my only real issue with Vista. On normal systems it was a dog. Give Vista a lot of RAM, fast video card and it's not bad at all. Windows 7 is like that but way less demanding on hardware and a lot of nice interface tweaks, but it's far from a almost totally re-written OS like I said.

Under the hood there is a lot more changes in Snow Leopard over Leopard. Just because the changes are not all Interface changes does not mean they are not there. Performance is a lot better with SL.

In the end it's your decision. You are at a Mac Forums. Most people are here because they love OSX and Macs. A lot of the members here though are very open minded and will state the truth. Go to an Apple store. Try out OSX. If you do not like it, Windows 7 might be for you. I like Windows 7 a lot but OSX a lot more.

Windows 7 is a large improvement though over Vista at least for me, but if they passed a law that said I could only own one computer, it would be a Mac with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
lol im not saying I love windows better! im just asking what you guys think
This is a Mac forum, what do you think? LOL

I have been working in the IT-Field (PC) for 7+ years now, and i use nothing buy Macs. That wasn't always the case, i actually took my last PC down last week and it seats in a box in the basement. Just using it as an example, on how much i like Mac's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
To the OP: Why waste money on a new Mac when you already have a PC on which you can try out Windows 7 ? This is just logical. Were I in your position, that's exactly what I'd do. Install Windows 7 (I'm sure you can get a friend to loan you theirs to try) and give it a run for its money.

If it suits you, then there's your answer. There's nothing magical about an operating system. You either like it or you don't. If you're being productive on it, then it's right for you.

Personally speaking, I got tired of having to babysit Windows. Ok, none of my machines were ever infected with a virus (I might have had a few trojans here and there), but the constant registry problems *bloat and misalignment* and the malware/adware issue were frustrating. Vista just blew it, and I saw another option (Linux) and took it.

OS X to me, is mostly everything that Linux either is or needs to be, at the same time. A great combination. But for all I know, Windows 7 might actually be just as stable (haven't read up on its security changes) and nice to use. But I don't have any hardware to install it on. You do.

I say install 7. Give it a try. Don't like it ? There's your answer. Problem solved.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Try them both out before you make a decision.

Both operating systems are appealing to the eye and are easy to use.

I personally love the Apple notebooks because of the trackpad. I have never used a better trackpad. Every single iBook, Macbook etc. that I have ever used has had a wonderful trackpad.

I hate all "PC" notebook trackpads.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is really just another Windows vs. Mac thread...which usually are not much fun!:(

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I dont know he just mentioned that.. is that true? did microsoft actually saved apple?

Absolutely. Apple was on the ropes in the mid-nineties. Mac OS was dated and Apple-branded computers were faced with the daunting task of competing with lower priced clones, as well as Windows '95 and '98 which had incredible momentum with the Internet attracting more people than ever to personal computers.

Meanwhile, the US Department of Justice was nipping at Microsoft's heels, declaring them an abusive monopoly. As much as it seemed like a pragmatic move, Microsoft infusing Apple with a few million to keep their lone viable competitor afloat, was just a good business move and served to help build their case against the DoJ.

Eventually Apple, with the return of Steve Jobs and an incredible amount of hard work and product development ingenuity, performed one of the greatest and most unlikely turnarounds the tech industry has ever seen - starting with the original iMac.

It's a fascinating story that has been covered ad nauseum by both the industry press and business journals alike.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.