• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I bought a computer case, now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Azza solano 1000R for $99 on Newegg with a $30 mail in rebate.

It's a standard ATX tower with 10 drive bays, two 230mm fans, 2 140mm fans, and 1 120mm fan. It's also completely painted; there's no metal showing on the entire case, which is a vanity item but still cool.

I have a generic cooler master midtower that will keep my room nice and toasty when it's turned on. So, hopefully with the cooling I can get the temps down a bit more.

What now? HTPC!!!!

I'm going to buy some budget parts and use the old case for a HTPC. First comes the fun part...painting. I'm going paint the mid tower. I'm thinking Khaki color with some kind of stenciled design in black and then hitting it with a clear coat of high gloss. What's better than having a custom built HTPC? Having one that really looks badass.

:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Are you trying to build a Mac Pro clone, or what? If your building a PC I think you might do better asking your question on a PC forum. Not that I object to your posting, it's just that I don't keep up with PC components anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you're going to run an HTPC, check out Xbox Media Center.

It's a GREAT app for all of your HTPC needs. It's Windows, Mac, and Linux compatible, so whatever flavor of OS you choose to run, XBMC will run on it.

Furthermore, it does support 1080p resolution. Get a wireless Xbox 360 controller (since they're USB), and you can use that as a remote 9or an MCE remote if you have one).

I use this on my original Xbox and it works great, minus the high-res support.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Are you trying to build a Mac Pro clone, or what? If your building a PC I think you might do better asking your question on a PC forum. Not that I object to your posting, it's just that I don't keep up with PC components anymore.

Uh...no...

I have a PC I built several months back with an i7, 6gb of RAM, a BD burner, a 1.8GB GPU, and other junk. I just got a mid tower for space reasons, but it's not cooling like I want, so I upgraded and I'm going to use the old case for an HTPC.

If you're going to run an HTPC, check out Xbox Media Center.

It's a GREAT app for all of your HTPC needs. It's Windows, Mac, and Linux compatible, so whatever flavor of OS you choose to run, XBMC will run on it.

Furthermore, it does support 1080p resolution. Get a wireless Xbox 360 controller (since they're USB), and you can use that as a remote 9or an MCE remote if you have one).

I use this on my original Xbox and it works great, minus the high-res support.

I'll have to check it out. I have an HP Media smart server that I'm using to stream movies to my PS3 right now, but they're DVD rips that I've done and it's definitely not DVD quality. I'm using a wireless network, and that would cause problems with trying to stream HQ media, so I'm going this route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.