Should my first laptop be a Mac?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have always admired Apple computers from a distance, being stuck with my family's PCs for years...
Now that I'm getting to need my own computer for school though, I'm wondering if I should spend the extra thousand dollars and get a Mac.

I have a iPhone 3G and love it to death.
If Macbooks are this amazing, I'm definately in.

The only thing I'm worried about is compatability. Compatability between Microsoft word, mainly, as I'll be writing a lot more papers before I'm done with school.

Also, I have no idea what kind of RAM and processor speed to get.

Anything will be helpful :)
thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The only thing I'm worried about is compatability. Compatability between Microsoft word, mainly, as I'll be writing a lot more papers before I'm done with school.

No problems with Word compatibility (at least I haven't experienced any)...go fot it!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
Well, apple computers are not thousands of dollars more, they are really the same price as a comparable PC computer.
iWork and the MS Office for mac both are compatible with Windows Office, although I'm sure the mac MS Office is better than iWork in that regard.
If its just for school than the basic 13 inch models of either the plastic or aluminum would work great.

Also keep in mind that you can buy a refurbished laptop and save huge bucks. They really are the same as buying new; 1 year warranty, a "like new" computer (they were sent back to be fixed and were made to be like new again)

I um, dont have a mac myself, I'm in the same boat you are. A family of PC users, but I admire Macs and really want to get one.

Reaction score
I had to buy a laptop when I went to university a few months ago, first time laptop. I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier about my macbook. Go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
MacBooks and MacBook Pros are amazing. No compatibility issues with word. You're in good shape, get one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You can also use OpenOffice which is free and compatible with all MS Office filetypes. I have a core 2 duo 2GHz aluminum macbook (right before the 13 inch pros). It's on sale refurbished from apple for 899. It's still a good machine and I don't regret paying 1099 for it refurbished originally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Go for it. You will never want to use a Windows computer again after you get used to it.

OP
P
Reaction score
oh yeah, my sister used open office for a while and loved it

and i hope so :) lol my internet has frozen three times this evening on our family hp with vista
im tired of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
... I'm wondering if I should spend the extra thousand dollars and get a Mac...

Does a bear s**t in the woods?

I was worried about how I would go from a Windows computer to a Mac when I was wanting one a few months ago. I went for it and got a MacBook Pro and could not be happier. I would also say go for it. It's not possible to be disappointed. Sure there are some differences, but it's not hard at all to pick up on and once all of your files are on your Mac, you won't feel a need for Windows at all. (At first you might feel like you want to Bootcamp Windows on it for security, but that feeling will pass very fast.) Good luck!

Reaction score
I just got my first laptop, that also happens to be my first Mac, and I can say that I have no regrets. I am loving my new laptop. :) I still have my old PC desktop, but that's still functioning fine, so I am using it for play and to back up my files. :D Though...if it does go bottom up, I probably won't mourn it's passing.

Reaction score
Mine is a mbp..Do I regret it? no_Only thing I really dont like is the keyboard.Feels,soft.I like the old MB snappy keyboard.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Mine is a mbp..Do I regret it? no_Only thing I really dont like is the keyboard.Feels,soft.I like the old MB snappy keyboard.

I kind of welcome the soft feeling of the MBP keyboard. On my MB my typing seems very loud and I cringe ever time I let someone type on my MB. They apparently like to pound on the return key for some reason. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I kind of welcome the soft feeling of the MBP keyboard. On my MB my typing seems very loud and I cringe ever time I let someone type on my MB. They apparently like to pound on the return key for some reason. >_>"

You are not alone on that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
oh yeah, my sister used open office for a while and loved it

and i hope so :) lol my internet has frozen three times this evening on our family hp with vista
im tired of it

What a horrible combo to have ;) I feel for ya!

Of course you're going to have just about everyone here say buy a mac. While it's going to be hard for me take away all bisas feelings towards mac, for what you need and want out of a computer you really will be VERY happy with a macbook. You'll wonder what you've been doing with pc's all this time.

However that being said, I have had a chance to mess around with windows 7, and it really is MUCH MUCH better than vista ever was. In my opinion it's the best OS that Microsoft has ever made....so far anyway. I still prefer mac by a pretty big long shot, but if you have to go to a pc notebook, make sure you get 7 (I think that's all they really come with now from the big guys anyway)...you'll at least be much happier with a 7 system than a vista or xp etc.

OP
P
Reaction score
What a horrible combo to have ;) I feel for ya!

Of course you're going to have just about everyone here say buy a mac. While it's going to be hard for me take away all bisas feelings towards mac, for what you need and want out of a computer you really will be VERY happy with a macbook. You'll wonder what you've been doing with pc's all this time.

However that being said, I have had a chance to mess around with windows 7, and it really is MUCH MUCH better than vista ever was. In my opinion it's the best OS that Microsoft has ever made....so far anyway. I still prefer mac by a pretty big long shot, but if you have to go to a pc notebook, make sure you get 7 (I think that's all they really come with now from the big guys anyway)...you'll at least be much happier with a 7 system than a vista or xp etc.

wow that's good news. =o unexpected, but good.
I wonder if it's not coming a little late though.
But I'll definately keep it in mind. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.