Unable to use a print server.

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am having hard time to print to a print server.

I have Mac OS X, and a printer HP Deskjet D2360.

I have tried with two different print servers: ViewSonic WPS-100 and Iogear GPSU21. Each time, I have configured the Mac with LPD protocol, the print server IP address, the print queue name as indicated by the server manufacturer (l1), and the HP Deskjet D2300 driver for MAC downloaded from HP web site.

When I try to print, the printer stays still. The print server tells me that a print job was received and that 0 byte was printed.

I have made tests using other printing protocols (IPP and HP Deskjet socket), using generic printer drivers. I have also tried other printer queue names (LP1, lp1, L1) but unsuccessfully.

Both print servers work fine from Windows.

Also, the printer works fine when connected directly to the Mac USB port.

Thanks for any idea on how to fix this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
OS X plays nice with most hardware, but it's picky with print servers. I had a D-Link print server and, after many frustrating hours, was still unable to get it to work. I finally just bought a Time Capsule, and haven't had a problem since. It wasn't that bad for me because I needed an external drive and a backup solution anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One of OS X's worst flaws is its lack of port redirection capability.

Try leaving the queue name blank, or use just LP. Stick with the Gutenprint drivers and make sure they're up to date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.