Dell Printer not compatible?

Reaction score
Ok. I have bitten more than I can chew.
Still slowly learning with Macbook Pro. Just purchased an I-Mac with OS X 10.5.8.
Now the Dell P703W does not work. Used to work via the Vista Network. According to Dell site, it is NOT compatible with any Mac.
Due to children using this printer to print pictures, I cannot install Parallel, VM Fusion Ware or Dual boot.
What should I do?
Thanks so much

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dell printers are rebadged Lexmark printers, and Lexmark does supply Mac drivers. If you can figure out the corresponding Lexmark printer, you might be able to use that driver with it. But in my experience, that seldom works.

Also, looking at the Open Printing database, that model is classified as a "paperweight", meaning that it's useless with non-Windows Operating Systems.

My suggestion would be to just bite the bullet and replace it. For about $100, you could pick up a printer that's every bit as good, if not better - and if you get one with wireless built in, you can easily share it with every machine in your household and put it wherever you want. For example, I picked up an HP Photosmart C6350 a few weeks ago at Costco for $109. It works very well and couldn't have been easier to connect to my Macs and Windows machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.