iWork or MS Office

Reaction score
i'm a pc user switching to mac. for those who have used both i-works and microsoft office(either hone or business) which do you prefer. does one have any advantage over the other. ease of use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
I prefer iWork. I have both, but I prefer iWork over Office for Mac. It's much quicker, and it is easier to use (it feels like). Not only that, but it's also cheaper I believe. Even if money isn't an issue though, I say iWork.

F

fade

It really depends. I'm in school and need office for one of my classes. However, I've never had a problem in any of my composition classes using iWork. It does everything I need. I will say that Office has a few features that would be nice if I was a power user of a word processor or excel.

I do keep a number of spreadsheets for personal use with numbers and I love that program.

EFS

Reaction score
If your still in school, then office may be the better choice, but I use iWork anyway. You can export to almost any format and I like the interface of the iWork applications much better. Pages is a lot easier to use than Office for Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I say iWork 100%! It's much easier to use and I have almost no complaints about it! It's also less expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Man, this is an eye opener....long time mac user but usually worked with office instead of iWork....recently wrote 4 papers for my post grad degree and 116 pages of office later, I freaking hate it. Considering I converted each report to PDF, quartz filtered to email-submit them, the app doesn't matter anymore. I will be using iWork from now on!

w00t!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
iWork for the reasons stated above... i love the multiple choices you get with iWork in terms of layouts and designs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might also want to check out Neo Office. I use it instead of Office for the Mac. It has versions for Mac and PC. In fact it is on several of our PCs at work.NeoOffice Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
If you creating documents and are using iWork 09 then yes you can save to doc or xls formats. However, if you mostly use iWork to open files made with Word or Excel you may find there could be issues. I have run into a few already and I was just testing it out ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I use iWork one reason being that it still seems to run faster than office, another being that I only have 512mb ram. iWork uses less of it

Reaction score
Well, I am a teacher and also in school again (not that I want to be). I am also a new Mac user - I opted for iWork (have Office on the PC desktop). iWork was only 40 bucks or so with the new computer. So far, I have had no problems with it. Office files open with iWork, and you can save iWork files to open in Office. I like Keynote better than PowerPoint - just seems snappier. There are a few minor glitches between the two, but nothing that can't be worked around. So save some money and go with iWork IMO. good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
As someone said: it all depends :) If, like me, you are a long-time user of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, then you will probably find Pages and Numbers less fully-featured and, because of the different interface, with something of a learning curve. Keynote is generally reckoned to be better than Powerpoint, but so far I've only used it once, so can't really judge. In trying to use Pages, I keep getting stuck on figuring out how to do something that is, for me, relatively straightforward in Word (although I hate the new interface for Word). So, I may start something in Pages and then say, Oh the h... with it, and open it in Word to finish.
If, on the other hand, you are starting out all nice and fresh, it really wouldn't matter which you used, unless you were a major user of complex spreadsheets, in which case, Excel still beats Numbers.

Reaction score
I personally use Open Office free may not have 100% of what office or iwork has but pretty close to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^That's true. The features are mostly the same. I find though that Open Office, being so close to MS Office's interface, is not as easy to use as iWork. iWork on the other hand, employs the functionality of MS Office, but has a more user friendly interface.

Reaction score
I've never used office for Mac, but i've used it for PC. I have iWork for my Mac, and I can't complain about it. It's excellent, and a lot better than office on my old PC. I'd say go for iWork. And it's cheaper! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I have Office for Mac and iWork 09, and I prefer iWork. What I would say though, is that that really is only to do with Pages, since my use of Excel and Numbers is not very advanced. I think Pages is a better Word Processor than Word simply because it doesn't force me to have all the options available to me at one time. I can minimise everything and set it to full screen and just type. Great for someone like me who is easily distracted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, keynote is a little bit easier to use then PowerPoint. For instance, right in front of your nose is the option to play a music file during your presentation. I wouldn't be able to find that in PowerPoint for the likes of me! It starts over on EVERY SLIDE! I had to play the music in iTunes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office 2008 full business version for me thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.