trackpad release

Reaction score
I'm posting in Switchers because I'm new to Mac and my issue may be obvious to old-timers, although I haven't found answers by googling or by searching this forum.

My issue is that when I drag and drop, Mac releases the selected item early. I have a Macbook pro with a trackpad that has no separate button. I click to select, then drag to move something (either in Thunderbird or the Finder or elsewhere) and if I'm not really quick, the item will be "dropped" before I have the chance to select its destination and release my finger. Are there some sort of settings I can change for this under System Preferences / Trackpad, or is there third party software available to further control the trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Use 2 fingers. One to click and then the other to drag.

I like to use both hands, too--eg, one finger from each hand. But whatever your personal preference.

Reaction score
I like to use both hands, too--eg, one finger from each hand. But whatever your personal preference.

Yeah, sometimes I use 2 hands, but if I'm browsing a web page and scrolling with 2 fingers I have started to scroll with index in the middle and middle finger spread apart doing the scrolling so I'm ready to drag...you know, because I'm always in a hurry to drag stuff. In fact my index finger rarely moves once it's on the pad....so

Funny how quick I adapted...just 2 days and I already can't use my old laptop's pad...

OP
C
Reaction score
Use 2 fingers. One to click and then the other to drag.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, that's what I'm doing. I tend to use my index finger to click and my middle finger to drag, but items still get dropped early, no matter how hard or light I am pressing. BTW, I've used trackpads on various computers before, just never a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Here is what I suggest doing.

Put your index finger at the bottom of the trackpad.

Push down with index finger.

Drag middle finger across trackpad.

Treat this trackpad like any other trackpad you have used. The bottom is like the button on a different laptop.

Good luck. =)

Reaction score
Try out the option "Drag Lock" under the trackpad preferences. It will allow you to double-click to "grab" something, then it will stay grabbed, even if you lift your finger off the trackpad, until you single-click to release it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.