Sony DCR_HC90 and G5 My mac can not see the camera

M

michaelbird

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Sony Camcorder DCR_HC90 and I have done some research and I understood that some of you get your macs to see the cam strat away however true to form and my luck my macs both the G5 and the power book cannot see the Camcorder on firewire at all!!

Can anyone Please help? I am sure it was on here that I read a thread on how to do it, I have called Apple and they were next to useless.

Hope to hear from you all soonest

Kind regards

mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
check your cable. to my knowledge SONY camcorders never have any problems with macs.
what software are you using? iMovie of final cut

OP
S

sonofapplepm

Try restarting the G5 first, then while it's running plug the cable in to the computer first then the camera. Then turn on the camera. Are you trying to import footage or use it as a web cam? If you are using it to import footage, then iMovie should recognize it! We are here to help, let us know!

OP
C

code777

i use a HC20 with no probs, the second you plug it in the iMac sees it. check cables and then try restarting. are you using iMovie?

yeah Sony and Canon camcorders have no issues with macs so

OP
M

michaelbird

Hi Thanks for the replies!!

Hi all, Ive tried all your suggestions before I posted but no luck, i have not tried a different cable but it is new and worked on an older pc 9, im at a loss what to do next? Do I have to set the camera menu/settings to anything?

look forward to your help, many thanks

mike

OP
M

michaelbird

michaelbird said:
Hi all, Ive tried all your suggestions before I posted but no luck, i have not tried a different cable but it is new and worked on an older pc 9, im at a loss what to do next? Do I have to set the camera menu/settings to anything?

look forward to your help, many thanks

mike

Oh sorry missed a bit Im using Imovie and ive tried it as a web cam but the mac just does not see it, however the usb plugged in it comes up with the memory stick as a drive i think an ind file?

Reaction score
michaelbird said:
Yes I saw that too but I assumed it was because it was new, however i searched for forum stuff and noticed that people were using this cam and macs but i cant find the forum again tut.. any more help guys plllleeaaassse

Try a few different firewire ports. And, make sure that the Camera is in VCR mode if your importing footage and in Camera mode if you are using it as a webcam. Open iMovie first, then try turning it on to VCR mode.

Please give some more details so we can better understand the situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.