Windows 7 on a Mac

Reaction score
Hey there, so i installed windows 7 on my mac via bootcamp and then (being windows! it got a virus) so i removed the partition and then after making a new partition i tried to install Windows 7 again but this time time winows 7 would not boot from the CD and just comes up with a black screen, is it a problem with mac or windows? (and i posted this question here not on some windows forum because they cannot comprehend the fact how you can install windows on a mac)
thanks
SIDESKIT

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like your Mac is having trouble reading the disc. Tell us a little more about the disc and where it came from.

OP
S
Reaction score
the disc is a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium and it was from Microsoft's online store.
Thanks for answering

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you installed it previously, did you use the exact same disc? Or is this another burn of the same image? Is the disc clean and free of scratches?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yea, It comes with the 32 bit version and a 64 bit version and i first installed it with the 32 bit version which has no scratches and then then i tried on the untouched 64 bit version, and still the same problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't mention which Mac model you have. Not all Intel Macs are 64-bit capable.

OP
S
Reaction score
oh here you go
iMac
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. That machine is definitely 64-bit capable, although you would derive no benefit from a 64-bit operating system, since you only have 2GB of RAM.

I would wager that your 64-bit disc is problematic - it may be burnt to a type of disc that your Mac has trouble reading or may have been burnt at high-speed. If you really want to use the 64-bit version, I would reburn the disc. If possible, try trading off between DVD+R and DVD-R media.

But in all honesty, it would perform just as well using the 32-bit version. A common misconception is that since the number is doubled, somehow the performance is better, but that's not usually the case. For the average user, 64-bit merely affords the ability to address more than 4GB of memory at a time. If you have only 2GB, there's really no reason to use the 64-bit version.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say you used Bootcamp to remove the messed up Windows 7 partition. Was it all back to normal with the full hard drive for OSX?

Then you ran bootcamp again and when it reboots it will not boot from the Windows 7 DVD? Is that all correct?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah i mean as i say the 32 bit was working until it got a virus so 32 bit defiantly was working but when i deleted the partition with windows 7 on it would not load again.

Yeah it was working fine in OS X

And all that is correct

I am so stuck :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you see this post earlier:

OK. That machine is definitely 64-bit capable, although you would derive no benefit from a 64-bit operating system, since you only have 2GB of RAM.

I would wager that your 64-bit disc is problematic - it may be burnt to a type of disc that your Mac has trouble reading or may have been burnt at high-speed. If you really want to use the 64-bit version, I would reburn the disc. If possible, try trading off between DVD+R and DVD-R media.

But in all honesty, it would perform just as well using the 32-bit version. A common misconception is that since the number is doubled, somehow the performance is better, but that's not usually the case. For the average user, 64-bit merely affords the ability to address more than 4GB of memory at a time. If you have only 2GB, there's really no reason to use the 64-bit version.

I saw you replied a few times, but it didn't seem to be in direct response to the suggestions I made.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, but its figuring out whats wrong and whats stopping windows from booting up to install it on the partition , at the moment there is just a black screen even for the 32 bit version so both versions do not boot from the CD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the black screen after you run bootcamp and it asks for the Windows DVD and reboots? I am trying to be sure you removed the old Windows install the correct way or you will have booting issues from the DVD. Seen it many times.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, turn the machine off (hard power it off by holding down the power button). Turn it back on and hold the option key immediately after the screen turns gray.

You should come to a boot menu, showing different bootable media. You should also be able to eject discs using the eject key. Pop in the known-good 32-bit disc that you used previously to successfully install Windows. Wait for a few seconds for the disc to show up as a boot option. Then, double-click on it. That should kick off the boot process. If it does not, you may have a hardware issue with your Superdrive or the disc.

OP
S
Reaction score
in response to "Is the black screen after you run bootcamp and it asks for the Windows DVD and reboots? I am trying to be sure you removed the old Windows install the correct way or you will have booting issues from the DVD. Seen it many times."

So, once i have partitioned it and then inserted the windows dvd it reboots and the apple noise plays and then it goes to a black screen and nothing. thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in response to "Is the black screen after you run bootcamp and it asks for the Windows DVD and reboots? I am trying to be sure you removed the old Windows install the correct way or you will have booting issues from the DVD. Seen it many times."

So, once i have partitioned it and then inserted the windows dvd it reboots and the apple noise plays and then it goes to a black screen and nothing. thanks

Just FYI, if you need to quote a post (to use it in response to a direct question), use the "QUOTE" button at the bottom-right corner of the post you want to reply to:

2009-11-24_1608.png

Yep, follow the suggestions in the instructions I gave you previously and let us know your results.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, sorry i haven't replied for like a month, work and that, well i tried what you said and still nothing? i have no clue on what is going on here. Any more help?
Thanks,
SIDESKIT

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, i have tried all the suggestions and nothing, just the same black screen with some white flashing thing at the top. I think i have deleted Windows off my HDD wrong, i just erased all the data off the windows partition(which i dont think your supposed to do)and i dont know what to do if you have done this. And now im thinking of completely installing Mac OS X again and seeing if that will work. And does windows 7 have some sort of feature were you can only use the install cd once, and i dont think my SUPERDRIVE is messed up because it works with other CD's. Any suggestions before i try a clean re-install or even if that would work? Please help.
Thanks
SIDESKIT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.