Which Macbook Pro fits my needs

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, This is my first post on here so hopefully this thread is in the right section..

I'm planning on switching over within the next few weeks and want to get the computer that best fits what I'm going to do with it. I've had a crappy dell insperion for about the last 4 years which has been a worldwind of issues so I haven't been able to do much with it. Anyway I'm planning on getting a 15 inch Macbook Pro which will be mainly for leisure and photo editing (Using Photoshop CS4 most likely). I also have wanted to dabble with Digital Audio programs like Ableton for a long time but haven't been able to with my current compter situation. Since I plan on having this computer for a while I'd like to leave myself plenty of room for growth without going completely overboard. (I'm working with a budget that tops off around 2 grand, though spending less is always welcome haha)

I really don't know much about hardware so i'm wondering which processor I should be looking at and if there are any upgrades I should explore in order to make it best suit my needs

Also, I assume a refurb will be the same quality as a new one?

Any other advice about the computer, the best place to buy it is, etc. is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Steve

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you need portability? I think that would be the first thing you need to answer.

MBP can easily meet your needs. If you don't need the portability look into an iMac, Mac Pro.

27" iMac? Yes, please. ^-^"

OP
B
Reaction score
While that 27' iMac sounds awesome (oh the possibilities with a screen that size haha) the portability thing is important to me since I am also a student and often use my computer in class, etc.

But as far as the MBPs go you're saying any of the stock models should be fine? How much of a difference is there between the 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 models, I was leaning towards the 2.66 but I can't really tell you why this is hah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It sounds like the 15 is your perfect size. I can tell you that I have a 15 inch of the current line and I love it and it's the perfect blend of portability and screen real estate and power.

Now it's just up to the hardware you want on it. For what you're going to be doing with it, truly even the 2.53ghz core 2 will more than do all the work that you need it to do. And you get a decent graphics card.

BUT that being said...

If you're going to hold onto the computer for a bit, and you don't mind spending a bit extra, than I would surely look into either the 2.8 or 3.06. For two reasons...

1. You can't really upgrade the CPU later, and a faster processor might be over kill a lot of situations, and you might never even get to the work load where you would even notice...but a faster processor is always better to have around. I would rather go a bit over kill than find myself without what I need that one time.

2. Once you go to the 2.8 and up you get both graphics cards with the higher memory. You can get the fully decked out graphics cards on any MBP models under 2.8ghz

Either way you'll love your MBP! :)

Good luck!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the 15" MacBook Pro is a great size. It is portable enough but has a decent screen size. Here's a consideration that you might really like for the type of work you want to do.

When at home I have my 15" MacBook Pro attached to an external monitor (24" Samsung). I have the desktop set to extended mode. The main documents are set to appear on the large monitor. Tool palates (such as those for Photoshop) are set to appear on the laptop screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
I think the 15" MacBook Pro is a great size. It is portable enough but has a decent screen size. Here's a consideration that you might really like for the type of work you want to do.

When at home I have my 15" MacBook Pro attached to an external monitor (24" Samsung). I have the desktop set to extended mode. The main documents are set to appear on the large monitor. Tool palates (such as those for Photoshop) are set to appear on the laptop screen.

I'd second this. Even if you have a smallish built-in screen on the MBP, you can always connect it to at least a decent external monitor and--for you--clone displays

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Get the 15in MBP with the dedicated nvidia card... that will leave you the most room for growth as grand central and openCL become used more often. Gotta love having extra processing cores floating around.

OP
B
Reaction score
So I was surfing Craigslist and came across this for 1150

Apple Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz - Super Fast - 3Year Apple Care Warranty

Its last years model so the specs are a little lower (though this has 6 Gig RAM)..it come with CS4 and 2 more years of Apple Care also which is why its caught my attention...Is this a good deal? Chances are i'll pass but I figured I might as well see whats been said about this model

Also, I assume with the Apple Care it doesn't really matter that I'm getting it through craigs..anyone had any issues with this?

Thanks again, everything that has been said so far has been very helpful

PS. Can you upgrade the HD Space in the rare event I blow through the 250 on this computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.