VMware Fusion

Reaction score
I have done the search and did not really find any that fits.
Just got a used MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. Really need to run windows 7.
Under application, there is VMWare Fusion. When I click on it, I get the licensing window demanding Serial number.
Tried to contact ex owner with no response.
My question is how do I know the VMware Fusion that is demanding serial number is Version 3?
Should I move this to trash and get the trial version 3 (I am still undecided between Parallel and Version 3)?
Thanks so much for your help.

Reaction score
It could very well be the trial version that is on there and the time has expired so it wants a serial number. You could try parallels. I have both and opted for parallels as it runs Windows 7 noticeably faster. You could also just use bootcamp and not bother with running it in a vm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd chuck it and get V3 to play it safe.

If you want a free virtualization platform, look into virtualbox. If you don't need more advanced 3D or other special features of Paralles or fusion, it's a good option.

Some people love parallels, some love fusion and others love virtualbox. I'm a fusion person - I like the vmware interface, I'm used to vmware due to work, and I like vmwares unity mode more then I like parallels or virtualbox version of unity mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 8,2. 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM. OSX 10.6..... Macbook pro, 2.4GHz 4GB DDR3 1067MHz
Fusion is great, only downside is that you may not get the fancy areo features on Windows 7 due the the VM drivers not supporting it, incidentally does any one know if you can update the drivers to the the Areo feature working??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
VMWare Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 support Aero as long as you either have a Nvidia or ATI graphic card. You might re-install support tools respectively, if you upgraded from an earlier version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I'm now using Fusion 3 and find that Windows runs faster than it did on my PC - however, that is XP not Windows 7. Why do you need to run Windows 7? I don't see that it does anything very much in relation to applications that XP cannot do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 8,2. 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM. OSX 10.6..... Macbook pro, 2.4GHz 4GB DDR3 1067MHz
VMWare Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 support Aero as long as you either have a Nvidia or ATI graphic card. You might re-install support tools respectively, if you upgraded from an earlier version.
thanks will give that a go!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.