Yamaha N12 on iMac

Reaction score
hello all,

has anyone had any experience of using firewire 400 devices through an adaptor into a firewire 800 port?

reason being am just about to pick up new iMac and may mixing desk Yamaha N12 is exclusively firewire 400.

Given that this is the heart of my studio i dont want to lose any performance by using an adaptor.

Anyone had any experience of doing this? ideally with N12 ;)

ta

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have any experience with the device you have but you shouldn't lose performance by using an adapter. However, if you intend to daisy chain FW devices and use an adapter at the same time, you may run into issues. Keep in mind that a FW 400 device when daisy chained to an FW 800 device is going to cause the FW 800 device to degrade in speed.

Regards.

OP
Z
Reaction score
yeah absolutely, but if the device, in this case a mixing desk, is designed to run on firewire 400 is the degradation of speed from the 800 downwards going to impact teh performace of teh device? in theory it shouldnt i guess

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you should be OK. Just make sure you buy a good adapter and not one of those discounted models that was put together with cereal containers and string. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.