help! why my iMac locks up

C

chefkww

I am new to macs, loving every minute of the power it has. After upgrading my ram from 256 MB to 1 gig my iMac G5 locks up by suddenly darkening the screen (like everthing goes into background ) and a window in the middle says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." This is also in 3 other languages. Can any one tell me what is going on.

iMac G5
1 Gig RAM
OS x.3.9

Reaction score
Its called a kernal panic, it can be caused by faulty ram, I would send back the new ram. How did you go from 256mb to 1GB?

OP
C

chefkww

mynameis said:
Its called a kernal panic, it can be caused by faulty ram, I would send back the new ram. How did you go from 256mb to 1GB?

Bought 2 - 512 MB Memory Simms online. Are you sure it is faulty ram

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

If this started happening after you put in new RAM as stated above i would be willing to put money that it is indded the ram macs seem to be pretty picky on the type of memory used.. hopefully the company you bought your ram from has a return policy.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

go to applications folder and then utilities folder and then click on disk utility choose your drive in the left colum and then hitt he verify permmsions and then the repair disk permissions

Reaction score
chefkww said:
How do you repair permissions? I am still learning how to use the Mac. And finding out new things every day.

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Anytime something wierd starts happening, try to repair permissions, it works wonders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think it's the RAM. But repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That is a classic symptom of faulty memory. Since it started happening right after you installed new RAM, It's almost certainly the cause.

Contact the company that sold the memory and demand a replacement or refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.