Mail Application

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question considering my job.

But recently I started working for Apple and we use iMacs, I set up my mail account(hotmail) at work with the Mail application. When I go to Sign In I have nothing in my inbox...I use a PC at my house but at work I use the iMac and now I think it somehow deleted all my old messages from the hotmail website.

Is there any way to get my messages back?

P.S. I can provide support on just about anything Mac related this is the only thing I can't figure out. So if you have any questions at all feel free to ask me.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, (for whatever reason, I can't figure it out), MSN/Hotmail/WLM doesn't work with Mail. Neither does Yahoo unless you pay for their Plus service. As far as my email goes, AOL works fine (I however have three email addresses for various uses and reasons)..it's irritating, seeing as I can use Yahoo on my iPod touch through the Mail app there. But..well..Apple doesn't like Microsoft, so..can't get MSN/HM/WLM to work on any Mail application made by Apple.

OP
A
Reaction score
We can, and I did, like I said I work for Apple I know hotmail works but as for the way mail removes messages from the online server I cannot figure that out...if hotmail doesn't work for you, you should upgrade to leopard, and for exchange to work upgrade to snow leopard

Reaction score
We can, and I did, like I said I work for Apple I know hotmail works but as for the way mail removes messages from the online server I cannot figure that out...if hotmail doesn't work for you, you should upgrade to leopard, and for exchange to work upgrade to snow leopard

Well I guess that explains everything..I guess I'll have to wait for my next Mac! It'll be running Leopard then Snow Leopard. So I guess I can wait on that one.

As for removing messages off the server, it's possible that you may have Mail set up to do that? If that's not the case, then you should talk to your administrator. Maybe they have it set up like through the server itself, provided it's running Mac OS X Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This may be a dumb question considering my job.

But recently I started working for Apple and we use iMacs, I set up my mail account(hotmail) at work with the Mail application. When I go to Sign In I have nothing in my inbox...I use a PC at my house but at work I use the iMac and now I think it somehow deleted all my old messages from the hotmail website.

Is there any way to get my messages back?

P.S. I can provide support on just about anything Mac related this is the only thing I can't figure out. So if you have any questions at all feel free to ask me.

Are they in your trash?

Also, in Mail if you go to preferences and click on Accounts, you can adjust mailbox behaviors as far as deleting and how long to keep deleted emails in trash and on server. Use the 3 tabs once you are in Accounts and set it up to your preference.

Sorry I can't help you with retrieving deleted emails from the server.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You think it deleted your messages off the hotmail site? Have you been there to check? They're either there or their not. Shouldn't be any thinking about it.

You need to check the deleted items folder on hotmail. If they are gone from the server and you don't have copies on your local machine, then no, you are not going to get them back.

Can't help with settings on hotmail within Mail. Got rid of that, as being able to use hotmail has been an on and off thing from within most mail apps over the last 3 years, with MS attempting to rid themselves of a free email service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm guessing you set it up to use POP to access Hotmail. POP, by default, will download everything and then delete it from the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I'm not sure when, but you no longer have to have the plus service for msn/hotmail. Which means no need to use 3rd party add ons (like you httpmail for mac)

How to Set up Windows Live Hotmail in OS X Mail.app | Tips & Tricks <- that site gives the announcement of hotmail access and also how to set it up in mac mail.

To Apple agent: check that on your pc that you haven't set it to delete messages from server and also do this when you set preferences in mac mail.

Hope that helps....

Unfortunately, (for whatever reason, I can't figure it out), MSN/Hotmail/WLM doesn't work with Mail. Neither does Yahoo unless you pay for their Plus service. As far as my email goes, AOL works fine (I however have three email addresses for various uses and reasons)..it's irritating, seeing as I can use Yahoo on my iPod touch through the Mail app there. But..well..Apple doesn't like Microsoft, so..can't get MSN/HM/WLM to work on any Mail application made by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
also you need to make sure you set the mail server to pop3.live.com and not hotmail.com as even hotmail accounts access this server..

Reaction score
also you need to make sure you set the mail server to pop3.live.com and not hotmail.com as even hotmail accounts access this server..
Well for the first time I'm now able to access my MSN Hotmail on my iPod touch, though I only get inbox and nothing else. Why can't the Mail application in Mac OS X be as simple as it is in iPhone OS? I guess you have to hunt around for this precious information..and it is my personal belief that Yahoo is a ripoff if you're too lazy to open up a web browser and navigate to the Yahoo Mail site..$20.00 (last I read) just for their Mail Plus service? Yeah no. :Shouting: Just my rant and rave about this. It should all be universal: Mail in Mac OS X should automatically be able to use Yahoo, and other email services like Mail on the iPhone OS.

EFS

Reaction score
If switching your email account isn't a big problem then just use Gmail. It works fine with Apple Mail and I've never had any sort of problem with Gmail (or any other email service for that matter).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.