Win 7 - Only two processors allowed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One other curious note, the license on the Win 7 Ultimate upgrade version I have states that this copy is only to be used on up to two processors in a single computer. So what? Now MS has a different version for Core2Duo and below and another for the new quad core chips? Simply amazing.

b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

Along with going back and trying to erase all previous statements across the web that they have made over the years so that the DIYer is no longer allowed to purchase the OEM version, while the techs on the MS site continue to tell people that they can use it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They said processors, not cores - and I know that's roughly analogous, but I think by 'processor' they mean two separately socketed processors. I remember reading about this somewhere and this was clarified either by the editor or by a Microsoft rep - although I think it was in relation to Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
LOL !

amazing microsoft..

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They said processors, not cores - and I know that's roughly analogous, but I think by 'processor' they mean two separately socketed processors. I remember reading about this somewhere and this was clarified either by the editor or by a Microsoft rep - although I think it was in relation to Vista.

Well, that makes a little more sense. Not even sure any mother board manufacturers even make boards with more than two sockets except for server applications.

That was something new to me since I skipped Vista.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They said processors, not cores - and I know that's roughly analogous, but I think by 'processor' they mean two separately socketed processors.
This is the first thought that popped into my head as well. If you want to be picky about semantics, a dual core processor is still technically one processor, albeit with two processing cores.

And like you said, I can't think of many multi processor machines anymore that people would want to run Windows 7 on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Along with going back and trying to erase all previous statements across the web that they have made over the years so that the DIYer is no longer allowed to purchase the OEM version, while the techs on the MS site continue to tell people that they can use it.

Ridiculous isn't it? They now say that an OEM system builder's version of Windows can only be installed by a MS licensed OEM system builder (Dell, Acer, Sony, etc). And yes, the MVP crowd and MS support personnel say otherwise.

How about the upgrade version of Windows 7? It activates regardless of whether or not it was installed on a never before used clean hard drive. Yet the MS EULA specifically states that you must have a previous eligible version.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.