Native version of GIMP coming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
GIMP is a wonderful program. In Windows and Linux alike, I loved being able to effectively do medium-level photo-editing and graphics work in the FLOSS rockstar program (third level only to Mozilla's programs followed by the top level Linux distros themselves). Since switching to a Mac and thus (obviously) making the switch to OS X, I simply downloaded the GIMP for Mac program available. Unfortunately, GIMP has taught me to dislike X11. Okay, really dislike it.

Has anyone heard any rumors on if we can expect a native version of the GNU Image Manipulation Program for OS X? I mean, Aqua interface, universal menu bar...the works.

Thanks in advance,
PowerofUNIX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is an experimental build here, a bit buggy but it works

GIMP.app

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You might want to check out Seashore, I believe under the surface it is GIMP, but with Mac-like polish on the UI.

OP
PowerofUNIX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
I already tried Seashore. It's native...but imagine the most dumb-downed version of GIMP with many, many missing features that can still be counted as based on the code, and then you are imagining it. I also don't really want to mess with software that I have read is really very buggy and crashes often (the Gimp.app experimental). So, I will have to wait until that is in a more public beta state, I suppose.
Thanks for the input, however. Using GIMP in X11 is good enough for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, I'm really curious about this. I've looked at Gimp and wasn't impressed with the GUI. I've always used Photoshop Elements, and I think the new Elements 8 rocks! It isn't very expensive, and there is a lot of support and add ons out there for it. So why would anyone interested in photo editing go with Gimp? OK, I know its free, and free is good. But honestly we all spend our money on something so why cheap out on our photo editing software?

OP
PowerofUNIX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all adds up.

FLOSS is generally a good route unless proprietary is necessary. You save money and support a rapidly growing community of private developers who are starting to give the big guys competition, which in turn promotes the construction of yet even better software from both parties.

It's just about seeing what software works best for each person. GIMP is great for me, but in the future I might need Photoshop (eeewww).

On top of what I said about supporting the community and competition and that stuff, it has a great list of features for a better than perfect price.

OP
PowerofUNIX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, us GIMP users are not "cheaping out." We are just using software which works fine for us and doesn't cost us. The operating system is where the polish is most important, and OS X offers better polish than any OS available (and I have used Win 98, XP, Vista, a drop of 7, Ubuntu, gOS, Puppy Linux, drop of Xubuntu, drop of DSL, a drop of Slax, and maybe another OS besides that other than Leopard).

As long as you are running Leopard (or Snow Leopard, for those of you who have upgraded), you will have a sleek look. The individual program is fine swaying a bit.

However, GIMP currently sways a lot. I am just waiting for a native version to come out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another great Photoshop alternative (and I'm not sure if it's got what you need, but definitely worth checking out nonetheless) is Pixelmator.

Reaction score
I really want to like GIMP, but I just can't...I don't know how many times I've installed and subsequently dumped it...if GIMP were a native app I think it would gain a much larger following among Mac users that simply can't afford PS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Before the GIMP goes native, GTK has to go native. Looking for a consistent answer on this one is a bit tricky though.

Reaction score
GIMPShop!

Is back in business for Leopard and Snow Leopard users. I make digital manipulations and got caught out in the Leopard cold, with Photoshop 7 and all my 'carbonized' plug-ins (and they weren't cheap!) no longer working.

I can't make heads or tails of GIMP, so I found this, and it took a bit of digging, but it works!

Go and install MacPorts. The MacPorts Project -- Home You want version 1.8.1 for Leopard. You'll not see a front-end for this, as it's a UNIX application that works through the Terminal.

Then off to XQuartz and get the latest X11 that is version 2.4.0. X112.4.0 ? XQuartz You can install this over your Apple X11 - apparently this is newer than what's from them.

Then go get GIMPShop. Version 2.2.11 is what's for OSX. GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella Install.

Try and run it, and it'll crash. You should see a message that says, "Reason: Incompatible library version: libXft.2.dylib requires version 5.0.0 or later, but libfontconfig.1.dylib provides version 2.0.0"

So far so good. This is where the MacPorts comes in.. as here is where I recently found the fix!

GIMPshop on Snow Leopard | strayprocess.com

Follow the directions! (Note, I did try the suggestion on the bottom of the page, and it did not work for me, though someone else may have better luck with it than I. I've been dabbling with the GIMPShop all afternoon, and it's got a few bugs with windows at startup, but that's No Big.)

Also, this last install of X11 from theXQuartz seems to have fixed a bit of the regular GIMP bugginess I was occasionally going off tooth and nail with. This X11 appears to be a *bit* better.

The Strayprocess page article claims this works on a machine running Snow Leopard, and I am running a 5 week old vanilla install of Leopard on a MacPro, so it works for 10.5 as well!

Happy happy!

Deb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.