Cant locate file saved by windows app

Reaction score
Ok, so i was attempting to compress a video_ts folder I have, and i ran into a problem. The method i was using, was downloading the latest version of dvd shrink and running it on my macbook pro using darwine. I dont know if thats a popular thing to do around here, but i thought it would be a good way to backup dvds on my mac, since i dont have a windows pc anymore.

Anyway, there are two ways to compress, save the .vob files to a new folder or compress to an iso image. i tried both ways, and they both failed about %75 through, but that doesnt matter. What matters is when i tried the iso method, it saved the file to the directory C://(name of file).iso. and naturally, after it failed i wanted to delete this file. but i cant find it! its no where to be found on the "Macintosh HD" as far as i can find. Does anyone have any advice as to where the directory C:// could lead to on a mac??? I feel its kind of important that i find this file because its about a 4GB file, i really dont want it just floating around on the HD >.<. Thanks in advance.

-TJ

OP
M
Reaction score
bump.

no one knows where the windows app equivalent of C:// drive on a mac is???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no such thing as a 'C' drive in OS X. Have never installed Darwine so I'm not familiar with that either.

You can use Spotlight to find pretty much any file on your Mac.

For keeping track of disk usage, after trying all of the free apps, 'What Size' is worth it's price.

Reaction score
On the mac (or any unix based OS), the equivalent of C:\ is the 'root' directory donated as a single slash ('\').
Usually it is not a good idea to save things to the root folder by into a user folder such as 'Downloads' or 'Video' or something. On the Mac, user folders are in \Users\.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The C:\\ is the top of the drive. In finder under devices, click on the drive name of your bootup drive.

It is possible that upon failure, the application was smart enough to remove the converted file since it is no good. You wouldn't find it in that case. Since you know the name you can try finding using Spotlight to find it.

pjhutch, that slash should have been forward; /. It is windows that uses backward slash marks in its paths.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses you guys.

However, im still not able to find this file. I know it did not get deleted because i was keeping track of the space left available on the hard drive. its about a 4GB file. Also, i know there is no C: directory on a mac.
Im running a windows application through darwine. The application thinks its saving to a directory called C: as if on windows, but its obviously not. in actuality, where would that location be?

also, i tried enabling root user and looking at the 'Macintosh HD' directory but nothing changed. i just had a little more access. 'Macintosh HD' is the main directory on this macbook, and the only one. ok im gna use spotlight and see if that can help me out. thanks again guys

OP
M
Reaction score
ok spotlight is not hitting on anything, i tried using the search function in finder already, spotlight seems to be the same thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
ok spotlight is not hitting on anything, i tried using the search function in finder already, spotlight seems to be the same thing.

Spotlight is not very good at finding hidden files or files that are buried deep. Try the free "Find Any File" application which you can download from here:
LINK

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Or, open up Terminal (/Application/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
sudo find / -name *.iso
Hit enter, enter your password and wait. Is it in that list?

(You can replace *.iso with the name of the iso if you know it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
There is no such thing as "C:" on a Mac; the problem here is finding where Darwine emulates the C: drive, as you've already pointed out. I've never used Darwine, but according to this article, you should be able to configure that with WineHelper, and the default is in the ~/.wine/c_drive/ folder (as I might have guessed; that's the same as Wine in Linux, which I have used). So unless you changed the default directory, try this: open a new Finder window, press Shift-Command-G and then type /Macintosh HD/Users/username/.wine/c_drive/. That should take you right to it.

OP
M
Reaction score
nabl, thank you! you are absolutely right. you know your stuff. The only thing i might add, is that for this particular instance the last part of the directory is ".../drive_c/". but that was exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much.

vansmith, i think your method would have worked also, but i delteted the file when i found it the other way before trying. thanks for the input tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Also, for the love of god, use MacTheRipper or HandBrake to convert video_ts folders. That way you won't run into this debacle.

Oh, you were compressing it. Rip it and then right click and say compress?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.