Windows 98 on imac g3??

Reaction score
could I run win 98 on imac g3 cuase I have a bunch of imac g3 that work but they got the french os and I do not know a bit of french and I don't have the install cd but I do have a windows 98 install cd I also have a osx puma install cd but I would prefer windows 98 over osx puma

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
could I run win 98 on imac g3 cuase I have a bunch of imac g3 that work but they got the french os and I do not know a bit of french and I don't have the install cd but I do have a windows 98 install cd I also have a osx puma install cd but I would prefer windows 98 over osx puma

You could try finding an older version of "Virtual PC for Macintosh":

Amazon.com: Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7.0: Software

Here's a website with more of an overview of Windows emulators for the Mac:

http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

Hope this helps,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you mean directly run Win 98 on a Power PC Mac the answer is no. Microsoft OS's only run on X86 CPU's.

What Pigoo said could work but it would be pretty slow and need OSX and Virtual PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What Pigoo said could work but it would be pretty slow and need OSX and Virtual PC.

Yeah...these emulators were always S-L-O-W...even back in the day when they we brand new!:( I remember using them back in the 90's...and they were "pokey". But if you have to run Windows on a Mac back then...these programs were pretty much your only option.

I think that there was Windows NUBUS expansion card as well.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have to run windows I just want to find out what the best option is

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Your best option is to stick with OS X. VPC on that machine is going to be brutal. What are the specs of your machine?

OP
T
Reaction score
well 4 of them are lime imac G3 and 1 is a ruby imac G3 the limes are all tray loading the ruby is slot loading thats about all I know about them I havnt picked them up yet I am going to tomorrow they have the french os 9 on them now and I would love to put osx on them but I don't know how well it would run on the macs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have to run windows I just want to find out what the best option is

I think that you are confused!;)

In your original post you said, "I do have a windows 98 install cd I also have a osx puma install cd but I would prefer windows 98 over osx puma"

You cannot install Windows 98 on a G3 iMac....you can only install Apple based operating systems.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And G3's are pretty obsolete to run anything on now.

All the emulator programs, Virtual PC, SoftWindows etc are simply just too slow and too difficult to even use. With no install discs I can see nothing but heartache ahead of you.

Reaction score
Hey Dude ...go on eBay and find an OS 9 retail install disc or buy A PPC version of Linux like ubuntu. If you lived next door to me I would have done fixed it for ya.

lowendmac.com/crews/05/1214.html

OP
T
Reaction score
And G3's are pretty obsolete to run anything on now.

All the emulator programs, Virtual PC, SoftWindows etc are simply just too slow and too difficult to even use. With no install discs I can see nothing but heartache ahead of you.

the heartache is the fun part

Hey Dude ...go on eBay and find an OS 9 retail install disc or buy A PPC version of Linux like ubuntu. If you lived next door to me I would have done fixed it for ya.

lowendmac.com/crews/05/1214.html
and 1 question is why would i pay for linux considering it is free

I think that you are confused!;)

In your original post you said, "I do have a windows 98 install cd I also have a osx puma install cd but I would prefer windows 98 over osx puma"

You cannot install Windows 98 on a G3 iMac....you can only install Apple based operating systems.

- Nick
I thought you might be able to do it by bypasing the hardware check you can install 98 on unsupported hardware by bypasing the hardware check so i just thought it would do the same for a imac i would prefer osx puma over 98 in a emulater I only said i would prefer 98 if i could do it derect not using emulater cuase it might run faster on the hardware then osx puma speed isn't really a problem I just wanted to go with what ever is faster most of the time they won't even be hooked to the internet

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, unsupported hardware is not running it on a Power PC CPU. It simply will not run on anything but an X86 CPU without emulation.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, unsupported hardware is not running it on a Power PC CPU. It simply will not run on anything but an X86 CPU without emulation.

so my best bet is osx puma or a ppc linux distro cuase I am deffinatly not gunna put any money into the macs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so my best bet is osx puma or a ppc linux distro cuase I am deffinatly not gunna put any money into the macs

I'm still a bit confused on what exactly the condition is of these iMacs.

You said that they have:

- a French version of the OS on them (what version, just curious)?
- you have a Puma install disk (which is Mac OS 10.1)
- you have a Windows 98 install disk (which is really not important, cause you can't install on an iMac G3).

If you want to stick with a Mac OS...Puma (10.1) is pretty darn old...a newer version of the Mac OS would be a better bet...but will cost you some bucks.

You didn't mention how much ram these iMac's have, what size hard drives, or the CPU speeds...but it's really going to be hard for you to get these iMacs into "useable" condition if the ram is low, and if the CPU speeds are slow (such as under 400mhz)...without spending some money.

I have three G3 iMacs myself...and they run pretty darn good considering their ages...but to get them into a condition where they will be productive running a Macintosh OS...you may need to spend some bucks on ram & newer OS install disks.

I'm not sure if you purchased these iMacs or got them for free...but as you may know...these G3 iMacs can be purchased for as little as $10-$20 dollars...so any upgrades will cost much more, and thus not financially logical to do.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm still a bit confused on what exactly the condition is of these iMacs.

You said that they have:

- a French version of the OS on them (what version, just curious)?
- you have a Puma install disk (which is Mac OS 10.1)
- you have a Windows 98 install disk (which is really not important, cause you can't install on an iMac G3).

If you want to stick with a Mac OS...Puma (10.1) is pretty darn old...a newer version of the Mac OS would be a better bet...but will cost you some bucks.

You didn't mention how much ram these iMac's have, what size hard drives, or the CPU speeds...but it's really going to be hard for you to get these iMacs into "useable" condition if the ram is low, and if the CPU speeds are slow (such as under 400mhz)...without spending some money.

I have three G3 iMacs myself...and they run pretty darn good considering their ages...but to get them into a condition where they will be productive running a Macintosh OS...you may need to spend some bucks on ram & newer OS install disks.

I'm not sure if you purchased these iMacs or got them for free...but as you may know...these G3 iMacs can be purchased for as little as $10-$20 dollars...so any upgrades will cost much more, and thus not financially logical to do.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
they have os 9.2 and I just picked them up today and they came with 3 os 9.2 install disk and a bunch of different os 8 disk and a bunch of software and I got the macs for free from a closing french school I do not care about using old os I kinda like os 9 accept the install Is in french and I have no idea how to change the language to english when installing os 9 and don't even know if I can the disk are french. I have a high end gaming pc that has xp vista and windows 7 on it I just got the imac to mess around with

I also have no idea how to boot from the disk so if someone could fill me in on change the language when installing and how to boot from the disk

edit: I foundout how to boot from the disc (typing this from one of the imacs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try and format one of the iMacs by booting from the OS 9 disc, and in the Installer, see if there is an option for selecting the English language. If so install from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
I didn't see a english option but I can't read french so I have no idea what anything says

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As a hint, "anglais" is French for English. If you see a list of something that is described with the word "langue" (French for language), that will likely be a list of languages. If in doubt, look it up online.

(Living in a largely bilingual area pays off!).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sacrebleu!

pepe-le-pew.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
As a hint, "anglais" is French for English. If you see a list of something that is described with the word "langue" (French for language), that will likely be a list of languages. If in doubt, look it up online.

(Living in a largely bilingual area pays off!).

Ok I know some french and there is no language selection but oh well I gave up on os9 and put osx puma on one of the 4 so far(I said 5 before but one has no hard drive) it works great but internet explorer 5.1 is really unstable any other brothers that are more stable? is camino stable?

****<<<<<< looks like it is blocked in english pigoo3 sacrebleu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.