About to switch...quick question

Reaction score
Sorry if it's been asked a million times but I couldn't find it in the FAQ sticky...

I'm about to jump ship and I just backed up everything on my current laptop onto a Seagate portable HD. All the info is compressed, so my questions are:

Will the Mac read all the info as is or do I have to unzip them first?

Anything else I should know before making the switch?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Apple's support page on their website actually has GREAT info on how all this is done. Please look these links over first. :)

This link discusses specific ways to "migrate" your windows data to your new Mac.

And this is the general Switcher 101 section of their site to get you prepared and get you going once you do switch.

Oh, and btw... there are various free apps for a Mac to open zip files. The one I use is Stuffit Expander. Google search for others.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OS X has built-in support for Zip files. Beyond that, I would recommend something like BetterZip, which can preview archives prior to extraction.

Regardless, if you're near an Apple Store and you decide to buy it there, they offer a free service to transfer your data to your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.