Installing Win with no Internal Superdrive (half a solution)

Reaction score
May be I'm close to the solution, maybe still way far away.

My internal Superdrive is dead and as you know, Bootcamp doesn´t work with external DVD drive. I have SL 10.6.2.
What I did:
I installed Parellels and XP Sp2 as virtual OS. From the virtual XP, I told it to install XP on other devise, in this case, my windows partition created with Boot Camp. I used my external DVD drive with the same original XP SP2.
Everything went fine (XP instalation finished and works through Parallels, it has even formatted the partition from FAT to NTFS, I've checked it in the Info window in SL) 'til I had this message:

I think if we can give Parallels permission to write the physical hard disk, we got it, I don't know if it's possible or not. As I know, what Mac doesn't let write, is the bios or something in the partition to make it bootable.

This is what I wanted to share with you, I hope it will be helpful and together we can beat Boot Camp/XP/Mac OS X.

Sorry for my bad english.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be very careful before proceeding! Make sure you have a cloned backup of your OS X installation and a Time Machine backup.

What you might wind up doing with the procedure you wish to use is overwriting your OS X installation by installing the XP boot loader. Boot Camp prevents this by using a modified boot loader for Windows. Your Mac does not have a BIOS per se, but instead uses EFI. Windows (at least not now) does not know how to boot from EFI and relies instead on a boot loader. The problem is that Windows will try to install the boot loader on the first partition of the drive. That's where your EFI info is. :(

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks fot the advise Chscag. I had time machine with all backuped.
If I want to allow Xp to modify my HD boot loader anyway, how do I do that?
I've tried others methods to get Xp, but I didn't succeed.
Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.