How to install VMWare tools after Win 7 install?

Reaction score
I've just installed Fusion and Windows 7 on my 15" macbook pro. Once the Win7 installation was complete the VMTools install is supposed to run automatically but it did not. I clicked on Virtual Machine and VMtools install and it created an iso image of some file on my mac desktop. How do I get the VMtools to install? Any help is appreciated. I'm stuck here!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Checkout this VM Fusion knowledge base article on how to install the tools.

LINK

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this problem? Is there something in the iso folder that I need to run?

Reaction score
Did you install windows 7 directly from the Windows 7 DVD? if you did you should delete the installation and have Fusion make a new virtual machine from the Windows 7 DVD.

OP
K
Reaction score
After some searching if found the solution. Works like a champ!!! Thanks everyone.

Solution
Occasionally, VMware Tools in the guest operating system may fail to start after you choose Settings>VMware Tools Install or click the message at the bottom of the virtual machine window. This may occur if the autorun feature is disabled in your Windows guest operating system. Some Linux guests do not have an autorun or automount feature, so you must manually install the tools after mounting the correct ISO for your guest. This information is included in the following steps.

To manually start the VMware Tools Installer:

Choose Settings>Cancel VMware Tools Install.
Choose Settings>VMware Tools Install, then click the Install button in the dialog box that appears. The installer should start installing VMware Tools on the Windows guest. On a Linux guest, this procedure mounts the ISO. To manually mount the ISO, see step 4.
If the installer still does not start on a Windows guest operating system:
From the Windows guest's Start menu, choose Run.
Enter D:\setup.exe where D: is the first CD-ROM drive configured for your virtual machine.
Click OK to start installing VMware Tools.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.