looks like I'm toast - Critical

E

Ex_PC_Puke

In an earlier post I talked about screwing up and setting up an application association for my Epson USB scanner to launch iPhoto (instead of the scanner app) --- as advised I tried looking for .plist files --- blew away several then blew away a epson.pkg in the reciepts area and maybe something else (I was in a bad mood and shouldn't have been dinking with this).

Anyway -- next thing I know the mini isn't even recognizing (or doing anything) when I plug in the scanner usb cable. Argh

So I call apple support --- they had me down load the latest drivers from Epson ----- no luck -- then had me downb load the latest Mac OS X Update Combo files (117mb) ----- no luck --- system does not recognize the Epson usb scanner -- but does recognize my usb HP printer

I am thinking I need to reload the OS at this point ---- not great -- but as the mini is only a week old I don't have much data on it --- I'd almost rather bite the bullet now and just do it !!

Any comments from the peanut gallery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you deleted a .pkg receipt, that shouldn't make much difference, have you restarted your mac? or tried repairing permissions?

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Well I decided to nuke it last nite -- thanks to my 30gb FireLite USB2 drive I was able to quickly back up the 1.5gb of music and the the few docs and Palm SW I had

Went very well (listening to music rite now) --- I may not have had to do all this -- but --- I had really hacked things up getting the Palm working earlier and then the scanner debacle ... I decided since I've got Tiger coming to me in the mail (soon I hope) I should whack this thing back into prime shape before that -- did the erase and re-install!!

And I've learned alot about OS X and macs in the past week -- and mainly that I can't be as cocky on the mac as I was on a PC -- cuz I don't know anything about macs at this point --- just need to take it slow and easy

Guess I've paid my dues this week :)

Thanks for all you help so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You could just do an "Archive and install"--blow away the OS, but keep your user accounts and files. Erasing the HD was probably not necessary.

One thought: have you tried using Image Capture with your scanner, without installing the Epson drivers? It won't have all the features, but it should work.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Yep - Image scanner will work - I'll have to learn how it works --- but then 2 days ago I didn't know what image scannner even was :dummy:

Bottom line is I needed to get 2 things working ASAP on my new mini
- Palm
- Scanner

for school and studies ----- now that I'm there I can slow down and spend more time learning the finer points of OS X and macs rather than pounding on getting those 2 things working ---- and actually they both really did work right out of the chute ----- it was me either rushing too fast or making assumptions that fouled things up

So that speaks well for OS X working well - and poorly for me for being in a hurry and careless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
glad to hear you got it working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if image scnner doesn't work out, vuescan is really great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.