Graphic Designer switched,not as good as I thought!

Reaction score
Cons.......
Had my imac from a PC 2 months ago. Started using the mouse and immediately noticed it was sluggish in use and inaccurate too. Tried all the settings (1 actually, only a speed option) and started to panic. Went online to find this is a common gripe to the extent people were getting wrist pains (which i am).Tried all the 3rd party apps and found steermouse improves it but still not as slick and accurate selection compared to windows. Why this mac has limited options to control my mouse which is my main input artist tool is beyond me and extremely disapointing to say the least. I know mac users who havent been on pc wont know what I mean but its like driving an old car using this mac mouse.
Used the mighty mouse for couple of hours and its now in my desk drawer, I love the way its not designed to fit my hand or anyone else's. Nice comfy ergonomic PC mouse in its place, keyboard is also going when I get my PS2 to usb coverter for (again) my PC keyboard. Buttons are too featherlight need to to be able to feel the seperate buttons to type quicker and find shortcut keys, theres a reason why every other keyboard in the world has sufficient keys.

Navigating is more work on this machine have to flick my mouse into the expose corner to see whats open and then go to select it.This is a bind when you work between folders all day, was always evident what is open in windows and I could go straight to the folder/program by clicking task pane.
This isn't a getting used to os issue, its twice as long doing the things I need to do all day long!

I still have no clue how to specify folder view options with thumb view in all system folders but not photoshop (program files) that I dont want to open thinking its a jpeg?

I Re-name folders a million times a day and again mac is two stages to do this, right click-get info, go to info window on the other side of screen and change name.....bind and unnecessary for this ultra common task.

Pros....

Stable no crashes, holds, glitches

Switching between programs and generally assing around the system is slick and reliable

Reliable web browser, love the way attaching files to email is nicely organized.

Screen and hardware dont have to be adjusted to get good honest color display

Nice to have some peace around here without the windows fan.

Nice little aps like calendar stickies and dash helpful.

Overall nice machine initially, reliable, but this mouse issue..... if windows settled down next time I need a new machine and could feel like driving a mercedes again I would think about it, or if it could get fixed it would be goodbye windows all together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I think I got ADD from reading this post. My grammar skills also took a hit. I am off to the doctor to get some Ritalin.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Overall nice machine initially, reliable, but this mouse issue..... if windows settled down next time I need a new machine and could feel like driving a mercedes again I would think about it, or if it could get fixed it would be goodbye windows all together.

Get yourself a good Logitech mouse (not one of the cheapies, but an MX Revolution or something of that nature). Then set Steermouse as such:

2009-11-17_1849.png

Problem solved - and I switch off between a Windows machine and my Mac all day long, it feels the same now. The Mighty Mouse is utter garbage, and the new Magic Mouse is only slightly better (but is not exactly ergonomic). Unfortunately, Apple mice have always been pretty weak compared to third party mice.

Task switching can be done with Expose in many different ways, including the old fashioned Command+Tab. Snow Leopard (10.6) adds a few new options that make it even easier. Go through the System Preferences one-by-one and tweak it until you get the machine to the way you like it. I found that once I had discovered all of the different options (particularly hot-corners), I could make the machine so smooth to operate, it makes Windows look like a tinker-toy.

Now, the above is just my opinion. For some people who do not like change, the Mac can be very annoying. But if you take your Windows hat off and put some effort into switching, it can be very rewarding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I must say - SteerMouse is the first application I load on my new Mac's. Also, I am in love with the Logitech V550. I have three of them now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I Re-name folders a million times a day and again mac is two stages to do this, right click-get info, go to info window on the other side of screen and change name.....bind and unnecessary for this ultra common task.

Try this: Select the folder with your mouse and hit Enter, rename it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this: Select the folder with your mouse and hit Enter, rename it!

Also if you click on the name under the folder and hold it the edit option should show up also. I usually just hit the Enter while pointing at the name and rename. There are several ways but these are the easiest. The Get Info and what you are doing is the long way around it.

I find it's just as easy and fast in OSX to edit folder names as in Windows.

Also CWA's advice about mice and Steermouse is very good advice. Give it a try!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have 2 Logitech MX Revolutions, they are the best mice out there, one for my Mac, and the other for my Dell. Never had a problem with the mouse at all, i have everything programmed for dashboard, spaces, volume, etc. I didn't like steer mouse too much, so i just use the standard Logitech software, works fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have 2 Logitech MX Revolutions, they are the best mice out there, one for my Mac, and the other for my Dell. Never had a problem with the mouse at all, i have everything programmed for dashboard, spaces, volume, etc. I didn't like steer mouse too much, so i just use the standard Logitech software, works fine.

Does the Logitech driver you are using give as much range of acceleration as Steermouse does? Some switchers expect VERY rapid movement and SteerMouse will give them that. I love Logitech Mice also. I have a V270 BlueTooth that I have used for close to 4 years now and it's still working great and it's been dropped and used HARD.

I have never been a fan of REALLY FAST acceleration as I tend to overshoot where I want to go. Some have it set so fast it's like they are having a race to see who can get there first! :D The health issues I have which has been getting much worse lately, makes it hard for me to do certain things like I used to and I do not like it set really fast.

One more comment, The Magic Mouse with the driver for it needs to allow a bit more acceleration. I have it wide open and it's just about right for me, but for some it's way too slow. I am sure Apple will take care of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it gives me a pretty nice range of acceleration and speed within the software. I normally keep it lower because it can get to be pretty sensitive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yea, it gives me a pretty nice range of acceleration and speed within the software. I normally keep it lower because it can get to be pretty sensitive.

Really? I've always found Logitech's software to be bloated and clunky. The last time I tried it was when I purchased an m555b and it didn't disappoint. I was back on Steermouse in a flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, yea i have never had a problem with it in terms of those settings. I did have one problem when SL came out, and they didn't have one that was compatible until a week later, other than that, no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor
I have to admit, you're the first graphics artist I've heard of that uses a mouse as the "main input artist tool", instead of a tablet of some kind. (Photoshop especially)
Some folks love them so much that they won't even go back to a mouse for everyday tasks. I can't say as I would go that far, but for Photoshop work, the sensitivity and precise handling of a pen is hard to beat.
Like you though, I have been less than satisfied with the Apple mouse. I just decided to wait till the silly season to buy the Logitec because that's when everybody and their mother will be having sales. The V720 is probably going to be the mouse of choice at that time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have to admit, you're the first graphics artist I've heard of that uses a mouse as the "main input artist tool", instead of a tablet of some kind. (Photoshop especially)
Some folks love them so much that they won't even go back to a mouse for everyday tasks. I can't say as I would go that far, but for Photoshop work, the sensitivity and precise handling of a pen is hard to beat.
Like you though, I have been less than satisfied with the Apple mouse. I just decided to wait till the silly season to buy the Logitec because that's when everybody and their mother will be having sales. The V720 is probably going to be the mouse of choice at that time.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the OPs rant.

Tablet for everything, even web browsing now. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
LOL Just what I was going to say/suggest too! Pen tablet is great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Started using the mouse and immediately noticed it was sluggish in use and inaccurate too.

Welcome to the world of Apple peripherals - the concentration on making things look pretty without regard to function is a major problem for the switcher. I ditched the Mighty (awful) Mouse after a couple of hours and went back to the Logitech I'd been using with the PC. The keyboard lasted no longer before I went back to my Msoft ergonomic.

I wrote to Apple, to their design head, asking when they were going to produce a proper ergonomic keyboard - that was months ago and so far not even a "Thank you for your letter" response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Boy ... I'm glad I didn't spring for the Apple keyboard and mouse when I purchased my mini. I did find the mouse control awful when I first started using it but after a few adjustments, it got better ... not as silky smooth but better. I do notice some precision issues but I was attributing that to the 1920 x 1080 res on my 22" monitor ... not used to working with things that small on the screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you have a large display with very high resolution, things do get quite small and unless you have vision of a youth, it's hard sometimes to be dead on accurate clicking on very small objects like say the 3 colored buttons that control an open window. I have had that same issue with both Windows and OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Really? I've always found Logitech's software to be bloated and clunky. The last time I tried it was when I purchased an m555b and it didn't disappoint. I was back on Steermouse in a flash.

I was thinking the same thing!

OP
S
Reaction score

which tablet do you use, I bought a basic wacom for £50.00 a couple of years ago but didnt get used to it but having said that I had lots of work on and didnt give it much time! How long did it take you to get used to yours?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Only takes a few days to get used to a tablet, then you will find you end up using it instead of a mouse

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.