Thinking about making a semi-switch

B

benson304

Right now I have a 2ghz Pentium 4 desktop with 512MB of DDR PC2100 RAM and am planning on getting a new desktop this summer.

I also have a Dell Latitude D600 1.8ghz Pentium M with 512 MB of Ram.

I was wondering which one of the Powermacs would be best for me.

I don't play games at all on my PC, I do a lot of music playing, DVD encoding, etc. Lots of Multimedia type activities. Along with a lot of multitasking.

My budget is probably around 2000-2500 dollars. The cheaper the better of course, but I want this system to last for a while.

I already have a really nice new LCD and really only need a tower and maybe a keyboard. But I will probably buy a two-button mouse to make the tranistion a little easier for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Im very happy with my dual 1.8 Power Mac G5. I also do a lot of multi-tasking and multi-media activites as well as music and DVDs. My main purpose was to work with my photography and this Mac has made it so easy to work with Photoshop and many other Photog apps. I also wanted my computer to last long. So far so good. I haven't had any issues except for really minor and simple ones.

You may not need the dual processor, but to get some great usage out of it, I'd go for the dual 1.8 G5. Even the single 1.8 would be fine for you. Check out www.apple.com and read up a bit on them. Im sure you'll find what you need and you'll be happy with what you deside.

OP
B

benson304

I've been hearing that they are going to be switching up the Powermac lineup in the coming month or so. I'm assuming it would be worth it to wait for the Dual 2 to come down to the price of the current Dual 1.8

I also get a educational discount because I'm at school. Which is cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
benson304 said:
I've been hearing that they are going to be switching up the Powermac lineup in the coming month or so. I'm assuming it would be worth it to wait for the Dual 2 to come down to the price of the current Dual 1.8

I also get a educational discount because I'm at school. Which is cool.
Yea, you could wait it out a bit and see what happens. That'd be good for you and with a lower price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, duel G5 would be a great way to go.

Man, I love student discounts!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.