• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Breadcrumbs Script

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I just wanted to brag a bit :)

One of my php classes was featured on Lockergnome.com in their webmaster weekly newsletter.

Check it out at http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/webmaster/20030930.html in GnomeCode section.

I was pretty "stoked" *wink* about the whole write up and the review they gave.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
That's pretty sweet. It's great to be acknowledged.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it is.. it's my only contribution to the open source community so far, plus it has won an award on another site and now gets mentioned in lockergnome so yeah Im pretty excited about the whole thing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any examples we can take a look at? I'd love to see this class in action. I think
I understand, kinda, what a class is. Is it something like a function? Hmm, come to think of it, I have no idea what a class is. :) I know what a function is, I know what variables are, and I understand the basics of programming IE : for..now, else..if, and all the other combinations in between that I have never used, nor can recall, but I never got to the point of understanding what a class is. Care to enlighten me in terms commensurate with the programming knowledge, or lack there of, described above?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most definitely.. go here and every single example is the class doing it's actual work:

http://www.baskettcase.com/classes/breadcrumb/

Ok a class.. hmm.. what is an easy way of describing a class.. the classic example I guess is a car.. a function is the rotation of the wheels, another is setting the color of the car.. another is setting the size of the wheels, etc etc.. so a class is the entire car itself.. with all those "functions" that comprise the car.

A class is an entity and not just a small piece. It is made up of variables and functions that help define the 'class'.. if you take a look at the above link hopefully through the examples you will get an idea of how a class works..

Sorry, but defining a class has been one of the hardest things for any programmer to do.. as far as I have heard.. I have heard the technical definition, but come on.. that doesnt even make sense to me! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it is a "chunk" of program... So like rendering code in Safari is probably a class. All the functions that are required to render HTML are all packed into a class, and then it is modular. So it can be used in Mail.app. Kinda?

Looking at that page, it seems like you covered every possible bread crumb somebody would want to use. Very cool.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks :) Once it was featured within the Lockergnome newsletter I had some serious hits on my site, plus lots of downloads.. so hopefully Ill have even more suggestions on how I can improve it :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*grin* no sure don't.. I've been so intent or working for my clients that I just havent had time to work on my own site, which it doesnt seem I need to do because i continue to get more clients. Eventually though, especially now that I have another programmer working for me.. I just might be able to concentrate on getting one up and going :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.