• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning .avi to DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
I have 2 .avi files that I want to burn to a DVD for use in a standalone dvd player. I did a search and read the tutorials, but I'm still confused about the process. I have Toast, Popcorn, ffmpegx (which I'm not quite sure how to use yet). I basically need a dumbed-down how-to with steps to take my avi's and burn them to a DVD. Thanks in advance guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea ill second that one, was messing with ffmpegx and all the stuff it told me download and it still made no sense as there was nothing to compile just bash scripts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I recommend trying Divx Doctor 2 to convert it to a .mov, then in toast, use the video tab to burn them.
note: converting to a .mov will close to double the size at least.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
I tried using DivX Doctor II, and everytime I try it, it gives me a message saying there was an error while doctoring the avi. I tried ffmpegx too, it took forever, but I *think* it might be working, I'll have to wait and see as Toast is currently encoding it. Any more suggestions are welcome, but as always, thanks MacMan

D

dstyrk

Well I read this thread earlier this morning and decided to give it a go with the above helpful ideas. This encoding process can't be going the right way.. I only needed to burn 1:35 minutes. It's been encoding since about 9:30 AM (it's 2:03PM now) and I'm only 75% done so far. Is this normal?

I did... .avi > .mov with Divx Doctor II. And now Toast is running the rest.. Is there a more efficient program out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can burn avi's in iDVD5

D

dstyrk

Drag and drop like or is it a bit keyboard intensive? And will they play in a stand alone normal TV type DVD Player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Drag and drop and they work

D

dstyrk

Ah.. Nice.. What are the turn around times? Does it not need to go through the same "encoding" process?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
i think i did something wrong with iDVD then. I tried that last night, and left it overnight. when i woke up this morning it said that encoding failed. what am i doing wrong?

D

dstyrk

Just my luck.. For whatever reason the toast let me start the job, with enough disk space only to 5+hours later tell me there isn't enough room. ***

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
yea, iDVD is pretty slow too, but if it works it really wont matter to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.