Speculating on buying a macbook

Reaction score
I want to buy one soon. Should I buy one now, or wait for a new processor to be released to get the most of my money. I am switching from pc which has

AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 2.3Ghz 2g of ram and 32 Vista OS, Nvidia GeForce 8600 Gts graphics card.

If i am going to buy one its going to have 4 gigs of ram, but the reg Macbooks are only 2.26ghz dual core. i am wanting to sell my pc and but a mac i am willing to not have to boosted graphics as i dont play games anymore. should i go with the pro and get an equivalent processor? is mac as taxing as vista on ram and processors?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to buy one soon. Should I buy one now, or wait for a new processor to be released to get the most of my money. I am switching from pc which has

If you really want to get the most for your money...buy a used computer!

New computers like buying a new car are not a good value.

- Nick

p.s. BTW...if you happen to know when Apple is going to be releasing new computers let the rest of us know...becasue Apple doesn't tell us "average" folks this info!;)

OP
D
Reaction score
are you talking buy a used mac on craigslist? or from a used dealer on the net, and does apple sell used and refurbished?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
are you talking buy a used mac on craigslist? or from a used dealer on the net, and does apple sell used and refurbished?

- used from eBay
- used from Craig's List
- refurbished from Apple

Any of the above are a better value than buying new...assuming you don't over-pay for the computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
What about a refurbished unit from Apple?

That's all I buy.
The problem is, they don't always ahve what you want, when you do see what you want, you have to jump on it.

Reaction score
If you dont care about graphics you should get the early 2008 edition macbook pro. You can probably buy it used now since its 2 years old and its still a great computer. Also if you want to buy the computer of Amazon.com check out this website "www.points2shop.com" You can save a lot more money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I just don't understand what all the fuss is about with waiting on the new processors. Am I the only one here?

At the end of the day....how many people truly need or will ever even notice a difference with even a decked out 3.06ghz core 2??

Or is it just a case of having the latest and greatest thing around?

I'll say this much. I just got my new MBP about a month ago now. It's a 2.8ghz and I'v never had one slow down or issue with it. And I do some very heavy stuff on this machine once or twice a week. The only way that I would even think of switching to the new quad core that are supposed to come along is if they're plenty of upgrades or changes to the rest of the computer hardware, or other features...which I kinda doubt.

Although if they start offering 500GB + SSD at a good price...then ;) lol

Either way...spoke to an apple employee at the apple store the other day. Great guy, see him often. He was telling me how even they know NOTHING. Most of the time they're almost always learning about new toys through the apple site, and through people calling in asking about them....while they'll still know nothing. So good luck figuring it out.

Reaction score
If you are waiting for a more powerful laptop then it'd take quite some time waiting, you never really know when apple will release a new laptop though there are rumours of a quad core MBP. You still have to consider that many apps still do not fully utilise the quad core, but do utilise dual cores, so if you are looking for performance then the 3.06Ghz Dual Core would probably do better or at least equal the performance of a 1.7Ghz Quad Core, which would cost about the same money. The upgrade in processors I think is the most probably coming update, so buying now wouldn't be a bad idea. The technology is constantly changing anyways so by next year a 2009 laptop may seem old and outdated, so you might as well buy now and spend less time waiting!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.