Backing up a new McBook Pro/Time machine

Reaction score
I was going to back up my laptop onto my external HD with the time machine programme. When i was about to do this is the message i get

Are you sure you want to erase the backup disk “External hard drive”? Erasing will destroy all information on the disk and can’t be undone.

The disk must be erased before it can be used for Time Machine backups because it has an incompatible filesystem.

I have three years worth of music movies etc on there and do not want to loose them.

I have not switched the time machine on but want to back up my laptop. Or would it be easier if i just bought a new external HD for my Mac which is not really a problem.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you can, buy another external disk and create 2 partitions on the external disk.
One partition can be used for Time Machine backups and the other partition can be used for anything you want.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
It would be a better route to buy a new external hdd and use that for time machine.

If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it !

Better to spend 100$ then find yourself in a world of hurt.

BTW if you do get a new one, unplug the other when you frst rum time machine so you don't format the wrong one.

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
Than k you gents. Straight to the point as usual. Ill buy a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.