Newbie with a question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook -2.13 Ghz, 160 GB hard drive
Hi Everyone,

I finally ditched the PC (three catastrophic viruses in two weeks-ridiculous)and bought a new white MacBook. Mine is not the newest release model, but the one right before...i'm guessing it's mid 2009. I got a deal at BestBuy right after they rolled out the new stock, and they threw in a free 2 year service agreement courtesy of Apple.

Anyway, I am doing software updates and see that I have 10.5..but in the MacBook box there is a snow leopard cd. Since I'm such a newbie, I'm a bit paranoid about upgrading the OS myself-not sure what could go wrong.

Am I being paranoid? Can my machine handle Snow Leopard smoothly? It has 2gb of ram and it's the macbook with the 2.13 ghz processor. I don't want to end up with a slower machine just for the upgrade.

Thoughts, advice?

Thanks,
Jen

Reaction score
Go to the Apple at the top right of your screen, then go to About This Mac. If it says "Intel Core 2 Duo", you are good to go. Snow Leopard can only run on machines that have Intel chips, so you really only need to look at that. At any rate, if your machine is from mid 2009, then it should run Snow Leopard without a hitch. I bought mine all the way back in 2007, and it still works very well anyway.

There really isn't much to upgrading from a disc. You have to click less than five buttons in order for the installation process to start. Once that begins, you just have to kick back and relax until it is done. And yes, you are kinda being paranoid. :p

Reaction score
I've been there about two months ago, then realized I had a Power Mac G4 sitting on my desk, craving to be turned on, maintained and basically used. So I'm boycotting Windows. :p

As for upgrading from Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.6, you should be just fine, and if anything goes wrong, you still have Leopard, which should be in the box, am I right? (If not, well, you'll end up shelling out a little over $100 for a black install disc from places like eBay and Amazon).

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook -2.13 Ghz, 160 GB hard drive
Yes, I do have the Intel Core 2 Duo. Well, that's good news.
I realize I probably am being paranoid. I've reformatted a ton of pcs, installed and upgraded them, but with being new to Mac, I just guess I don't know what to expect.

I *do* know what's tripping me up in some cases is expecting things to be difficult, and they are so easy. Ah well.

Chris, I hear ya...I kept getting some virus that masqueraded as an antivirus, and it was just horrid.

I'm loving my mac...I can't believe how fast they shut down. I could make a sandwich and my PC would still be shutting down.

Reaction score
I realize I probably am being paranoid. I've reformatted a ton of pcs, installed and upgraded them, but with being new to Mac, I just guess I don't know what to expect.

I *do* know what's tripping me up in some cases is expecting things to be difficult, and they are so easy. Ah well.

Chris, I hear ya...I kept getting some virus that masqueraded as an antivirus, and it was just horrid.

I'm loving my mac...I can't believe how fast they shut down. I could make a sandwich and my PC would still be shutting down.

Recently, I was at a friend's place, and I needed to use Skype to call someone. So I asked if I could borrow her laptop (Windows), and I am not joking when I say that it took me twenty minutes to start up that thing before i could click on anything.

So yeah, Mac is awesome.

Reaction score

Funny, the PC that I own that got destroyed (it's now functioning, but it has problems with opening up Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs etc.) hangs on the shutdown screen. I swear, I could go on vacation for a freakin' month and it will not have shut down. Forget Windows. I've had enough of it!

On the other hand however, the Windows 7 on my Tosh. laptop shutsdown in about 30 seconds. My Power Mac shuts down in about oh, 10 to 15. :D

When I get a new Mac, it'll probably take about the same to shut down, until I get stuff thrown on it from the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
It doesn't look like you should have any issues updating.

On the XP vs OSX ... lets not forget that XP was released in 2001 and OSX was released in 2007 and whether the XP is a fresh install or one running for 6 years. I have alittle trouble getting my head around posts that don't compare things on an equal footing ...

That being said, I purchased a HP netbook with XP home and it boots and shuts down just as fast as my mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
OSX was released in 2001 wasn't it? 10.5 (Leopard) was released in 2007.

I stand corrected ... thats what I meant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Here's my question .... Why are we shutting down so much ? Fellas just let that bad boy sleep then you can talk about how fast it wakes up ! :)

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.