New iMac - disk image

Reaction score
Hi All

New iMac (first Mac) is sitting in the box 'til I get time to open it.

Should I take a SuperDuper! backup in the as-delivered state?

Is it necessary for an external HD to have greater capacity than the main HD?

Thanks
Matt

Reaction score
If your iMac is new, it should already come with Snow Leopard, which has Time Machine already being part of the operating system. Time Machine is an application that automatically backs up everything on your Mac in the background. All you have to do is to set up the HDD, and it will back everything up periodically.

And no, you do not have to have an external HD to have greatest capacity than the main HD.

Reaction score
It's running Mac OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard right?

No need to use SuperDuper! because from 10.5 onwards, Time Machine does all of your backups, internal and external.

Reaction score
If your iMac is new, it should already come with Snow Leopard, which has Time Machine already being part of the operating system. Time Machine is an application that automatically backs up everything on your Mac in the background. All you have to do is to set up the HDD, and it will back everything up periodically.

And no, you do not have to have an external HD to have greatest capacity than the main HD.

Augh you beat me by 3 minutes LOL! :Smirk:

OP
M
Reaction score
TimeMachine Backaups

Thanks all
My understanding was TimeMachine did not make bootable backups - obviously I am happy to be corrected.

Matt

Reaction score
Thanks all
My understanding was TimeMachine did not make bootable backups - obviously I am happy to be corrected.

Matt

Of course it can make bootable backups. That is the reason why it literally backs up everything on your Mac. EVERYTHING.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Has something changed in time machine ... I assumed one needed to boot from the leopard install dvd and once past the language screen, go to utilities menu and choose restore from TimeMachine.

If that's is the case, it's not a bootable copy.

Reaction score
Has something changed in time machine ... I assumed one needed to boot from the leopard install dvd and once past the language screen, go to utilities menu and choose restore from TimeMachine.

If that's is the case, it's not a bootable copy.

Oh? If that is the case, oops! That's something new, since I've never actually had to boot from my Time Machine before.

My apologies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.