MacBook Pro to TV (to watch Movies) HOW?

Reaction score
I am trying to hook my macbook pro up to my tv through the av imput (red white & Yellow connections) is there some hardware I need to do this.

Like a converter or something usb? help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello. This is a very common question lately. I believe you will find all the answers you are looking for with the search function. I remember a very good post on this subject by bobtomay. If nothing else search for his posts or maybe send him a pm

hope this helps
clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
#1 need to know which MacBook Pro you have, or at least which connection is on your MBP

If you have one with the mini-display port, don't know that you'll be able to get an S-video or composite output.

To even try, you will need Apple's mini-display port to VGA adapter.
That will need to be connected to a converter box. You might try something like this.
Note: Apple's VGA to video adapter does not work according to almost all reports.

There have been many issues surrounding getting the mini-display port connected to analog monitors with a fair amount of users having no success.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Like I said bobtomay is the man to ask !

JRP

Reaction score
Connected but no tv.

I connected my MacBook via a DVI to HDMI. I know that I have a connection because my desktop background is fully displayed. I can't get past the background. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If your background image is displayed then you have successfully connected your Mac to your TV. What you're looking at is the extended desktop mode. You can drag windows to your TV. To check which side of your screen it's on, go to System Preferences --> Displays and you'll see your TV and your Macbook's screen. You can move the TV to the correct side in relation to your Macbook. Here you will also get the option to mirror your screen so that the TV displays everything that shows up on your Macbook's screen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are in extended mode - gives you two desktops that way.

Drag your mouse off screen to both sides to see which side you can get to the TV screen.

You can drag any apps you want over to it.

This can be adjusted in System Preferences / Displays - Appearance tab

You can also put a check in 'Mirror Displays' if you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.