• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Predictions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Technology is constantly evolving. It is truly amazing to see the new technologies that have come to the consumer market in say, even the last one year. I'd be interested in hearing the members of this forum just put their thoughts down as to what you think we can expect, or what we hope to see, in the next 5 years.

1. I predict a continued increase in Apple's market share, but nothing huge.
2. I predict that Longhorn will actually be released on it's current release date.
3. PDAs will cease to exist on store shelves, or they will evolve to be more like Smartphones.
4. All Laptops will come with Wifi as a standard option, some will come with bluetooth.
5. Wifi will be integrated into more consumer products, we will see things like Televisions with built in Wifi. Be it either for use as monitors, as a replacement for infared remotes, etc...
6. Duel Processor PCs will exist in greater amounts, but still not be common.
7. A scaled down G5, or faster G4 will be added to the Powerbook line. Then, a newer chip, perhaps a G6 or something tailored to the mobile market will be added.

Those were just a few of mine, I may post some more later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I predict Apple will change their name to Peach and target predominantly women.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
edgefusion said:
I predict Apple will change their name to Peach and target predominantly women.

lol..

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Longhorn will ship on time because Intel along with the major PC companies have beat MSFT into submission and they all have products plans in the works for the the new OS

I predict that Lenovo (the new mega Chinese PC maker ) will start to beat the snot out of Dell very soon in both sales and innovation, and will continue to torment MSFT. I saw a Lenovo prototype that had a very slick dual OS feature --- just want simple(menus) for email - audio - video - games then run Linux --- need to run that XP crap for certain programs then boot to XP .................. a bit clumsy but I loved it

:) :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
judging from this dell is going down
47789.jpg

Does anyone else think its a little odd how it has almost the same keyboard layout as apple?

E

Ex_PC_Puke

64 bit CPUs ? -- 128 bit CPUs ? -- ...... Ain't gonnna work baby- too hard to route the buses on the board and maintain timing between signals in fractions of nano seconds

Fact - not prediction ------ Future CPUs will move to multiple high speed serial links between the CPU and main controller chip and graphics ---- this is where I fear Apple is at a real disadvantage by not having a dedicated chip maker (like Intel) pushing the architecture forward (which takes $$$$ and commitment) --- all this is in the works

D

dlisle20

powermac in 2100:

100000Ghz PowerPC G50
512TB RAM
256GB Grapihcs card
1000TB hard drive
1TB p/s airport mega extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Insted of going way into the distance like dlisle20 here is what i think will happen the summer at the WWDC

option A: iPod will be pulled and photo will take its place and a video ipod will take the photo place.

option B: New ipod line

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
IChing said:
I predict longhorn will develop Mad Cow Disease

lol

I would also like to see apple take over the whole computer industry.

I

IChing

I don't want the whole market maybe a little more, If they ever get as big as microsoft, they will become microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
IChing said:
I don't want the whole market maybe a little more, If they ever get as big as microsoft, they will become microsoft.

DIE MICROSOFT DIE

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'd say like 20% would be a great number, big enough that lots and lots of software is made for us, but not big enough to cause Apple to be a Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
True. As much as we like Apple, I guarantee you they'd be worse than Microsoft if they had 95% market share. Steve is quite the control freak....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
schweb said:
True. As much as we like Apple, I guarantee you they'd be worse than Microsoft if they had 95% market share. Steve is quite the control freak....

Tru but thats not always a bad thing... look how good apple "stuff" is

E

Echo_

ya but if they get big theyll get the viruses and spyware and their quality will go down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Echo_ said:
ya but if they get big theyll get the viruses and spyware and their quality will go down

sadly thats very tru

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.