Help

F

Fomer

I purchased thbe linksys wireless router today and upon pluggin in my computer frooze up and I am unaware as to how to manually turn my laptop off.... I held in the powerbutton and got the shutdown, restart opitons and none of them work also my clock... konfab.... airport....ichat. wont load in the title bar at the top.

OP
F

Fomer

Scratch that... I fixed it although thanks cause I am sure one of you would have helped me. :)

WOW! I can't get over the speed my cable provider promises up to 3.5 and I am only pulling 1.5(on a good day) But with linksys I am pulling 2.5 and my cable company said this would make it slower... go figure. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
If you want to force your machine to shutoff, press and hold the power button for like 5 seconds, and it will shutoff. How did you connect it to your machine? Ethernet? This really shouldn't cause a system freeze as you describe.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If it is a iBook or a Powerbook, just press the power button and hold for about five second. That should power it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Or if its an iMac.. or a PowerMac.. :) that works with any new mac now :)

OP
F

Fomer

Emrys said:
If you want to force your machine to shutoff, press and hold the power button for like 5 seconds, and it will shutoff. How did you connect it to your machine? Ethernet? This really shouldn't cause a system freeze as you describe.

Yeah I actually think it was my fault... I used ethernet so it wasn't even connected. But it wouldn't connect so I though eh I'll restart it and I did then when it loaded back my dock popped up and my konfab clock popped up but the top bar wouldn't. Then about 2 minutes later it did but the right task manager thing (I guess its called that) wouldn't show up. Then Knofab showed up and I waited about 5 minutes still nothing... So I decided to turn it off and I clicked the apple menu went to restart waited nothing happened went in and clicked shut down nothing happened. Then finally figured out the push down thing and it finally cut off, turned back on and it loaded normal. :confused: I am with you though Em I don't see how the linksys would effect it since it wasn't even plugged in.

(something else I just noticed though the Powerbook off button was ripped off by XP's Shutdown icon.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Glad you got it working. Whenever my 'net goes down I freak out.

The other day I was with my girl, and we went to her mothers house. On the way there, I was jonesing to be on the net. I felt somewhat naked without the ability to instantly check my e-mail, or take care of the board. Knowing that it would be at least 3-4 hours before I could get my fix was quite disheartening. It was pretty sad, really. :)

OP
F

Fomer

Emrys said:
Glad you got it working. Whenever my 'net goes down I freak out.

The other day I was with my girl, and we went to her mothers house. On the way there, I was jonesing to be on the net. I felt somewhat naked without the ability to instantly check my e-mail, or take care of the board. Knowing that it would be at least 3-4 hours before I could get my fix was quite disheartening. It was pretty sad, really. :)

I know the feeling. :) In order to get my powerbook I had to sell my Dell Sunday and go 5 days with no computer... I felt like a smoker with out his cigs I was calling friends and family asking if I could come over and surf the web a little bit... Saddest thing is I actually went to the local libray and spent 3 hours on their crapp windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
On the two occasions I've had a freeze in an application and can't get back to finder, I hold apple-option-control-shift and press the power button (on my iBook). I'm not sure if you have to hold down all of them but it turns off instantly.

However, the date is always reset to 1970 for some reason when I do this - don't know if this is a direct effect of forcing it off or a battery fault in the 'book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.