wireless

C

Chris3801

today i got the best thing ever a wireless router i love it. Being able to take my iBook where every i like around the house and out in the garden

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is awesome. i love taking my iBook outside on the patio and surfing the internet while the dogs play.

OP
I

IChing

Got my airport express and wireless network going finally with all the bugs worked out. Surfing the web anywhere around my place, playing tunes on my stereo, being able to turn up or down the volume, changing songs on my porch is awesome.

OP
B

badmojo

IChing said:
Got my airport express and wireless network going finally with all the bugs worked out. Surfing the web anywhere around my place, playing tunes on my stereo, being able to turn up or down the volume, changing songs on my porch is awesome.

Question:

I setup an Imac G5 for my dad on his existing, unsecured, wireless network, and he was surfing 5 min after we turned on the mac. My wireless n/w, in my home, is secure, and I'll be getting an Imac G5 in the coming weeks. Upon bootup, will the Imac ask for the pertinent WEP info upon bootup? Or will this have to be manually configure somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
badmojo said:
Question:

I setup an Imac G5 for my dad on his existing, unsecured, wireless network, and he was surfing 5 min after we turned on the mac. My wireless n/w, in my home, is secure, and I'll be getting an Imac G5 in the coming weeks. Upon bootup, will the Imac ask for the pertinent WEP info upon bootup? Or will this have to be manually configure somewhere.
yes it will ask you for your wep info when you go to access the wireless network.

OP
C

Chris3801

i had mine set up for me. but i think the info had to be put in manually but im not 100% sure

OP
I

IChing

What router are you using?
I have a dlink connected to my router and my PC and an apple express in another room for my stereo. My powerbook is of course able to roam. The settings for the dlink WEP is set through the http address. Just make sure that you understand the key prompt on all computers, the router asks you this.

I hardwire my powerbook to the router when I need to tweak settings vs my PC having the control although either can do it.

I first had a Belkin pre-n router and the set-up was the same. Even though I was getting a greater distance with the Belkin preN it keep on crashing and freezing up so I took it back and got the Dlink. The prompting was a little different but basically the same.
The apple express on my stereo is in another room still, will play tunes either from my PC or powerbook.

The airport express apparently will only extend range with airport extreme(router). I don't need the extension for I can take my PB next door and still be able to get on my network.

I hope that helped

OP
C

cadsmn

I use a Netgear wireless g router. I get great signal strength and good range. I went with WPA over WEP, better security. I love how my powerbook automatically finds and connects to the various wireless networks I use between work and home.

OP
B

badmojo

IChing said:
What router are you using?
I have a dlink connected to my router and my PC and an apple express in another room for my stereo. My powerbook is of course able to roam. The settings for the dlink WEP is set through the http address. Just make sure that you understand the key prompt on all computers, the router asks you this....

I purchased an Airlink+G from Fry's Electronics about 1.5 months ago for $20. It's a good router for the most part, but it occasionaly goes out. Fortunately, in Win XP SP2, I can "repair" the connection with a single click, when it does this. I hope that fixes like this are just as easy with the Mac.

Edit: My wife uses a Toshiba laptop with an Airlink+G pcmcia card and it works great. She print's wirelessly to my connected HP4110 A-I-O located in my office. My coming iMac will have to be configured to receive her print command. Hope I can get this to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.