• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows 7 copied OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's not a slip up... it's just an admission of what they've been doing for the past 25 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
:)

This statement may become a ' career limiting move ' for him.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Or perhaps a new job marketing for Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I was thinking more along the lines of termination. :)

And reason for his termination:

"No telling the public our total business strategy. NDA agreements exist for a reason."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not a slip up... it's just an admission of what they've been doing for the past 25 years.

Maybe after 25 years they are finally close to getting it right.

All I know is that if it took me 25 years to get it right...I would have been fired from my job long ago!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
This isn't a slip up, it's honesty, and for that honesty that person is mostly going to get fired for breaking some sort of policy. Imo windows 7 copied from OS X and from the KDE project for linux, I really hope KDE brings up a fight against MS so they have to open up there coding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Without doubt there are many similarities with the new W7. I happen to believe that it is only natural to copy something that users praise, so saying that W7 incorporates or had no ideas brought over from OSX seems like a HUGE lie to me.

As for "Unfortunately this came from a Microsoft employee who was not involved in any aspect of designing Windows 7." This doesn't prove he was wrong with his W7 copying statement. Any fool on earth will be able to tell the similarities that the new W7 has that were on OSX.

But, I don't really care though. We all know who makes the best OP system...the company that builds their OS to run with their own computers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
Yeah I heard about this. It isn't just windows 7 that has been doing it, all windows versions have something copied from the OSX platform. Take the windows visual system for Windows Vista (Aero) looks and sounds a lot similar to Aqua (Mac OSX visual platform). In fact Bill Gates had stolen the platform from Steve back in the day when both companies were first starting out. Bill claimed that he was going to create software for the operating system but what he did was he took the basis of the operating system and built Windows from Apple's operating system. Apple did not have their operating system patented at this time so it was not illegal but a jerk move on Bill's part. Sorry for the history lesson people lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yeah I heard about this. It isn't just windows 7 that has been doing it, all windows versions have something copied from the OSX platform. Take the windows visual system for Windows Vista (Aero) looks and sounds a lot similar to Aqua (Mac OSX visual platform). In fact Bill Gates had stolen the platform from Steve back in the day when both companies were first starting out. Bill claimed that he was going to create software for the operating system but what he did was he took the basis of the operating system and built Windows from Apple's operating system. Apple did not have their operating system patented at this time so it was not illegal but a jerk move on Bill's part. Sorry for the history lesson people lol.
Source? I never heard about that before. I wanna read about it more.

Edit: Found a part from Wikipedia. Very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really think its not just one sided tho. All OS's feed off of each other naturally. But I think that microsoft does it quite often with apple. (ex. Zune and iPod, Front Row and Microsoft Media Center etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
All OS's feed off of each other naturally.

Ok now much has Apple fed of others? And is it just *nix and next? Or do you think thay have feed of MS too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Replace "of" with "off" and read it again.

OSX and previous versions of the MacOS have fed off of Windows in some areas. Simple things like the right click menu are examples of ideas that Apple has incorporated long after they had been standard on the Windows platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Hi I am Wiliam.
This isn't a slip up, it's honesty, and for that honesty that person is mostly going to get fired for breaking some sort of policy. Imo windows 7 copied from OS X and from the KDE project for Linux, I really hope KDE brings up a fight against MS so they have to open up there coding.
Yeah nice copy and paste job from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
^
LOL

Hopefully the next version of OS X will have a (much needed IMO) design overhaul. I mean it's been unchanged since 2001, look how far Windows has moved on since then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.