• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Idea for Education: The EasyEducator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
My Algebra teacher and I came up with the idea of using a tablet computer in schools. The general concept is that all students are given a tablet computer preloaded for their specific classes.

For each class, you would have a specific set of applications. For instance, in 8th Grade Algebra, we would have a notebook, graph paper, an Algebra textbook, a calculator, and a way to email our teacher.

I have noticed that tablets are sold for $1,000-$2,000. Is this the ACTUAL cost the take to produce, or is it just what they are sold for so manufacturers can make money?

I'm going to try and attach my video about this soon. Post any questions, suggestions, or comments here!

Reaction score
It's definitely an intriguing idea and one certainly worth working on. I think it would help students in the long run, since all of their work would be on one device.

My family already uses the computer for nearly all of our school work (I'm home schooled and currently focusing on my senior year). We email our "teacher" (aka parents) our work when we're done, and it's very efficient because they can keep all of the records in a save folder on that email account.

So, I think a tablet computer with all of the necessary applications for a certain class would definitely be useful in the future. Things would be in one device which would make it easier to organize as well as prevent loss of key papers for an essay, and emailing the teacher is definitely a good way to keep track of progress and to seek advice for a particular subject.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your comment MacWindows! I know that computers are already used in schools, but not on the level I am proposing. Do you have a facebook? I have created a group for those who support the idea!

The EasyEducator Idea | Facebook

Cool! See you there.

Reaction score
I do have a facebook, so I'll join that group when I get the chance. :)

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you Jeremy Gardner on Facebook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have noticed that tablets are sold for $1,000-$2,000. Is this the ACTUAL cost the take to produce, or is it just what they are sold for so manufacturers can make money?

No one is in business to not make money. The markup is probably 40% or so at the retail level, and if it's sold through a wholesale chain there's a markup there too.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So they are actually worth around $900 if you don't add the markup?

Reaction score
When given a tablet computer in school, most children would probably just mess around on it. Or just try to break it. I know the little scummy children in Scotland would.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
When given a tablet computer in school, most children would probably just mess around on it. Or just try to break it. I know the little scummy children in Scotland would.

I hope they realize that it's school property and if they break it they get to buy the school a new one.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but would you rather carry around a 5 pound tablet or a 50 backpack loaded with textbooks and binders? They should choose wisely! And yes, if they break it, that's $900-$2,000 that they owe the school, and if they don't pay it, they can't take their classes!

And that brings me to another question. If you were to buy tablets in bulk (200 or more say) would companies likely give you a discount?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And that brings me to another question. If you were to buy tablets in bulk (200 or more say) would companies likely give you a discount?
They probably would. That said, does your school have the budget for something like this? Let's say the company you buy them from is generous and sells them to you for $750 a piece. For 200 of them (your previous estimate), that would put the school back $150,000. I don't know of many schools that would shell out that much cash for something that can honestly be just as easily done with pencil and paper. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for introducing technology into the classroom (I even had this discussion with someone today) but it has to be reasonable and educational beyond that of "traditional" ways of learning. To me, tablets for 200 students is not worth $150,000.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I don't think we exactly have that sort of buget right now. I'm only trying to see if it is at all feasible.

I'll give you a scenario. Let's say there is a company called EasyEducator Inc. The company does some successful trials of the program using some tablet (let's say it's made by Apple). It's done in a school of 500 and it's very successful. Now, the company has several thousand orders for these devices (let's say it has 3,000 orders). Would there likely be a larger discount if somebody was REALLY buying them in bulk, or no?

In the short term, it might be expensive, but I'm not sure about the longterm. This could over time eliminate lockers, that shaves money. Textbooks could also be dropped (at least printed ones) and that would probably save schools tens of thousands a year eventually.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, you would probably see a discount but the costs would still be prohibitive, especially for a public school.

Students would still need lockers to put clothes and personal belongings in. The cost of textbooks would still be much cheaper than tablets. Textbooks can usually last a few years unless there is a monumental paradigmatic change in history/math/social science/etc. and a tablet, in the hands of students, wouldn't last much longer. Students would run those things into the ground and the upkeep/repair costs would be quite large as well.

Again, I'm not against technology in the classroom but it has to be pedagogically and fiscally feasible. I'm not sure about the pedagogical benefits but I'm fairly certain that the fiscal burden on the school would be too heavy.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
feasibility is an issue, but as the technology grows, it will likely go down in price, making this more affordable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Maybe enough for one class could be purchased, so that students and teachers can see how well it works with the system, and how it impacts grades. It could take a while for that to give a considerable amount of data, but if there are a lot positive results there could be a consideration to have everyone in the school use one for their studies.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Maybe enough for one class could be purchased, so that students and teachers can see how well it works with the system, and how it impacts grades. It could take a while for that to give a considerable amount of data, but if there are a lot positive results there could be a consideration to have everyone in the school use one for their studies.

Why would you only do something like this for one class? That's not worth the money. If anything it should be done for the whole school year in as many class as possible.

I don't think it would be very hard to compare the grades from last years students against the students that had the Tablets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Why would you only do something like this for one class? That's not worth the money. If anything it should be done for the whole school year in as many class as possible.

I don't think it would be very hard to compare the grades from last years students against the students that had the Tablets.

So we can pretty much conclude that this will work for everyone? It probably won't be a bad thing, I'm just suggesting the idea of testing the water first. Pretty harmless. :Confused:

And what about maintenance costs? What if someone drops theirs, or it just doesn't work? Can't really tell how many people will do this, but over the course of a whole school year, with (I'm guessing) +/- 700 students, that could be a bit of money. Not saying that's going to happen, or assuming it, but being hypothetical. And that's if the school pays for the fees. What if parents are required to pay that (or possibly students)?

Things to think about. . .

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So we can pretty much conclude that this will work for everyone? It probably won't be a bad thing, I'm just suggesting the idea of testing the water first. Pretty harmless. :Confused:

And what about maintenance costs? What if someone drops theirs, or it just doesn't work? Can't really tell how many people will do this, but over the course of a whole school year, with (I'm guessing) +/- 700 students, that could be a bit of money. Not saying that's going to happen, or assuming it, but being hypothetical. And that's if the school pays for the fees. What if parents are required to pay that (or possibly students)?

Things to think about. . .

Well for one thing it depends on how they are going to be using these machines. IE. Loaned to students for use only at school. Loaned to students for the school year.

They could charge a one time rental fee to help pay for the cost and potential repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with all thr above posts and have a couple ideas to share:

1. Replacement costs. If you are in school for 5 years. High school. By the time you are in Year 12 your tablet PDA thing will be pretty out of date and might not be good enough anymore for the current school syllabus. Also the younger students with the newer models or same age students with rich parents who can afford to buy their kids a new tablet would brag to the poor kids who can't afford a new one.

2. Hand writing skills. Sure people say tablets and PDA's and the like are all the rage. And I agree they to help educate children muchly. But having neat legible handwriting is a skill too often used in the world. And I've so many professionals liek doctors and teachers and others that have handwriting so bad they themselves sometimes have trouble deciphering it. I think this new technology can suppliment pen and paper but for the time being should not replace it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.