name change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 mdd 1.42 dpp 2 gig ram 80g hd leopard 10.5.8
hi... iv got 3 or 4 folders all with fotos in and i want to put them all into one folder.
in windows(spit), all i did was highlight the fotos in a folder and right click, then rename them and that way i dont get duplicate fotos going into the folder.

i want to do this on my mac but dont know how to?

cheers.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
29 lookers and not one answer????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
select the file/folder and press enter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Yes, selecting and Enter allows you to change folder/file names. But I think you were asking about more than that. If you select a number of files (images) and attempt to move/copy them into a folder that already has files with the same name, you will be prompted to either overwrite (replace) old with new, or else the Mac will automatically change the file names for you. In the former case, you can decline to overwrite, and you will not have any duplicates in the destination folder. In the latter case, you will wind up with duplicate images, but slightly different file names on each.

Does this help?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, selecting and Enter allows you to change folder/file names. But I think you were asking about more than that. If you select a number of files (images) and attempt to move/copy them into a folder that already has files with the same name, you will be prompted to either overwrite (replace) old with new, or else the Mac will automatically change the file names for you. In the former case, you can decline to overwrite, and you will not have any duplicates in the destination folder. In the latter case, you will wind up with duplicate images, but slightly different file names on each.

Does this help?
..think so....

i have 2 folders with fotos in....the fotos are different but some have the same name.jpeg tag.....if i copy the fotos from folder a and put them into folder b, i will be asked to overwrite. so how do i change the name of over 450 foto`s in folder one in one go so i can then just copy folder a into folder b?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Does this help?

ok,.tried this and if i click replace, then it just replaces the files exactly the same... if i click dont replace, then it does nothing??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I wish i knew the answer to help you out. You try google?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I just googled and found this

I have to do this sort of thing for work all the time. The program I use is called "A Better Finder Rename". It does an amazing job. You can set it to exactly what you describe.

A Better Finder Rename 8: The Batch File Renamer for Mac OS X

I have not looked it up or anything b/c I am on my Iphone. But it might solve your problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just googled and found this

I have to do this sort of thing for work all the time. The program I use is called "A Better Finder Rename". It does an amazing job. You can set it to exactly what you describe.

A Better Finder Rename 8: The Batch File Renamer for Mac OS X

I have not looked it up or anything b/c I am on my Iphone. But it might solve your problem.

nice find but its not free lol....( im as tight as a mouses waistcoat).

why the **** cant we just have a "rename" button like windows has??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try Automater in Applications and make an Automater Workflow. Look for Rename Finder items in the Actions column. I would show you my Rename script for it different than you want. I think if you look at Automater and click that action I said above, you can figure out the rest. I used mine to add an extension to 100's of files but you can have it sequentially rename all the pics in a folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are talking about a sequential rename, I just tried it in Automater and it worked perfectly. Once you get the Workflow working the way you want it, save it so you can just click on it in the future and change the path and names.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a screen shot that might help of what I am doing in automater.

Picture 2.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a screen shot that might help of what I am doing in automater.

thanks... iv tried it that way and although it works, its a long way of doing such a simple task that takes windows seconds to do so easily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.