Windows on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hi all

I have heard you can download windows on a mac using Boot Camp but do you need any virus protection when running Windows?

Allso when you have Windows running are you able to install and run PC games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Once window is on your Mac via Bootcamp, VMfusion or Parallels which all can run windows, you need to treat the Windows OS as if you had it on a dedicated Windows machine.

You will still get viruses/trojans/malware and all the nasties.
If you do be confident in the fact that none of it will bother the OSX side of the system.

Easiest thing dont download anything nasty or go to those bad sites .. :)
But yes you will need some sort of virus protection.

On the games side of things yes you will. Its one main reason alot of people have Windows on there Mac. To play games, as long as the Game you have is compatible to run with the hardware you have... :)

Hope this answers your questions

Cheers

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And just to add to @tattoedmac's comments..you need to already have a copy of Windows that you are going to install in the Boot Camped partition or within VMWare/Parallels/Virutalbox..it isn't a free download or anything..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I used bootcamp once, i upgraded to parallels 4.0 and running Doom3. Runs pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you say 'download' windows assume you actually mean install as the only way to download an operating system we do not discuss here as it voids copyright protection laws.

If you meant you installed your own copy of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, yes you will need AV. A free one will do the trick, such as Avast!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.